Why does (ax, by) not transform like a vector under rotation?

• Thread starter AMichaelson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses the transformation properties of the "vector" (ax, by) under rotation. By using the rotation matrix, it is shown that (ax, by) does not transform as a vector unless a = b. The conversation also mentions another example, (x^2y, x^3+y^3), which also seems to preserve length when multiplied by the rotation matrix.
AMichaelson

Homework Statement

Show that (ap1,bp2) is not a vector unless a = b.(The 1 and 2 are superscripts)
In Einstien's Gravity in a Nutshell, p 43, Zee states the above is not a vector because it doesn't transform like a vector under rotation. When I use the usual rotation matrix for rotation about the z axis (R11 = cosQ, R12 = sinQ, R21= -sinQ, R22 = cosQ), then check that length is preserved under this transformation, I get that this is in fact a vector.
Zee gives another example: (x2y, x3+y3). This, too seems to preserve length after being multiplied by the rotation matrix. What am I missing?
I would be happy to have an explanation for either example, of course.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I will use the first example, but make the notation easier by starting with the "vector" (non-vector?) (ax, by) = r.
r' = Rr = (axcosQ+bysinQ, -axsinQ + bycosQ)
squaring r' gets (axcosQ)2 + (bysinQ)2 +axbysinQcosQ + (-axsinQ)2 + (bycosQ)2 -axbysinQcosQ = (ax)2 + (by)2, which is r2, so length is preserved.

Seems pretty straightforward, so: say what?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

AMichaelson said:
(ax, by) = r.
r' = Rr = (axcosQ+bysinQ, -axsinQ + bycosQ)
When you write r' = Rr you are assuming that r is a vector. But you actually want to show that it is not a vector (if a ≠ b).

You are given that ##(x, y)## is a vector. So, ##(x', y')## is equal to the rotation matrix applied to ##(x, y)##. That is, you know how ##x## and ##y## transform when going to the primed frame.

When you write ##(ax, by)##, then ##x## and ##y## are still the components of the vector ##(x, y)##. ##a## and ##b## are assumed to be scalars; so, they don't change when going to the primed frame. Therefore, the quantity ##ax## transforms as ##ax## → ##ax'##. Similarly for ##by##. So, you can see how ##(ax, by)## transforms. Then you can check whether or not ##(ax, by)## transforms as a vector.

Thank you so much! (:doh: Of course!)

Related to Why does (ax, by) not transform like a vector under rotation?

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is commonly represented as an arrow pointing in a specific direction with a specific length. Vectors are used to represent physical quantities such as velocity, force, and displacement.

2. How do you verify that something is a vector?

To verify that something is a vector, you need to check if it has both magnitude and direction. You can also check if it follows the properties of vectors, such as the ability to be added, subtracted, and multiplied by a scalar.

3. Can a vector have a negative magnitude?

Yes, a vector can have a negative magnitude. In this case, the vector will be pointing in the opposite direction of the positive version of the same vector. For example, a vector with a magnitude of -5 will have the same direction as a vector with a magnitude of 5, but it will be pointing in the opposite direction.

4. How do you represent a vector mathematically?

A vector can be represented mathematically using its components or as a vector equation. Components are the numerical values that represent the magnitude and direction of the vector in the x, y, and z axes. A vector equation is written in the form of a = xi + yj + zk, where a is the vector, and i, j, and k are unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions, respectively.

5. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar has only magnitude. Scalars are represented by a single numerical value, while vectors are represented by multiple values or a vector equation. Examples of scalars include temperature, mass, and time, while examples of vectors include displacement, velocity, and force.