Why Does Battery Terminal Voltage Calculation Depend on Current Direction?

• Thread starter sunflowerzz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, for Q24, the current is going in a clockwise direction and the potential difference is -I1(30) = -25.7V. For Q25, the current is going in the same direction as the current and the potential difference is -I1(30) = -25.7V.
sunflowerzz

Homework Statement

I've attached the diagrams for both questions

Question 24
Determine the terminal voltage of each battery

Question 25
a) What is the potential difference between points a and d
b) What is the terminal voltage of each battery?

Homework Equations

V = E - Ir

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to solve Q24 and Q25 but only after seeing the answer and changing the signs of my equations so I'm just wondering why this is the case:

Q24:
I drew the current is in a clockwise direction
-I(1.0) + 18V - I(6.6) - 12 - I(2.0) = 0
I = 0.625A

For the 18V battery: V = 18 - (0.625 * 1.0) = 17.4V
For the 12 V battery: V = 12 + (0.625 * 2.0) = 13.3V

--> The explanation for why the 12V battery is E + Ir is because there is a voltage gain going across the internal resistance from left to right...which I understand

But for Q25:
From an earlier example, I1 = -0.858A; I2 = 2.58A; I3 = 1.73A

a) potential difference Vad = Vd - Va = -I1(30) = -25.7V --> how come you don't use the negative value of current 1, since that was what I calculated from the previous example?

b) 80V battery: the terminal voltage is the potential difference from point g to e
45 V battery: the terminal voltage is the potential difference from point d to b

V(80) = E1 - (I2)r = 80 - (2.58 * 1.0) = 77.4V

V(45) = E2 - (I3)r = 45 - (1.73 * 1.0) = 43.3V

So in this case, how come V(45) is not also E2 + (I3)r? Is it because it is going in the same direction as the current (I3) and in the previous question, it is going against the current?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 2,454
Physics news on Phys.org
sunflowerzz said:
a) potential difference Vad = Vd - Va = -I1(30) = -25.7V --> how come you don't use the negative value of current 1, since that was what I calculated from the previous example?
I agree.
d has certainly a higher potential than a.

b) 80V battery: the terminal voltage is the potential difference from point g to e
45 V battery: the terminal voltage is the potential difference from point d to b

V(80) = E1 - (I2)r = 80 - (2.58 * 1.0) = 77.4V

V(45) = E2 - (I3)r = 45 - (1.73 * 1.0) = 43.3V

So in this case, how come V(45) is not also E2 + (I3)r? Is it because it is going in the same direction as the current (I3) and in the previous question, it is going against the current?
Right, the current direction is different.

mfb said:
I agree.
d has certainly a higher potential than a.

Right, the current direction is different.

But can you tell me why that is?

The current direction (as drawn in the sketch) is an arbitrary definition, you can choose it as you like. If you choose the opposite direction, the current value and all signs for it change. The voltages stay the same.

mfb said:
The current direction (as drawn in the sketch) is an arbitrary definition, you can choose it as you like. If you choose the opposite direction, the current value and all signs for it change. The voltages stay the same.

So for Q25 part a, I just take the value of I1 as 0.858 and not the negative sign?

And about the directions:
for Q24, the 12 V battery is V = E + Ir because it is in the opposite direction of the current BUT
for Q25, The 45 V battery is V = E - Ir because it is in the same direction as the current?

Related to Why Does Battery Terminal Voltage Calculation Depend on Current Direction?

What is terminal voltage?

Terminal voltage is the voltage between the positive and negative terminals of a battery or electrical circuit. It is the voltage that is available to power a device or flow through a circuit.

What factors affect terminal voltage?

The factors that affect terminal voltage include the internal resistance of the battery, the load resistance of the circuit, and the amount of charge remaining in the battery. Other factors such as temperature and age of the battery can also affect terminal voltage.

Why does terminal voltage decrease over time?

Terminal voltage decreases over time due to the internal resistance of the battery. As the battery is used, the internal resistance increases, resulting in a decrease in terminal voltage. This decrease is also affected by the load resistance and the amount of charge remaining in the battery.

How can I measure terminal voltage?

To measure terminal voltage, you can use a voltmeter. Connect the positive lead to the positive terminal of the battery or circuit and the negative lead to the negative terminal. The voltmeter will display the terminal voltage in volts (V).

What is the difference between open circuit voltage and terminal voltage?

Open circuit voltage is the voltage of a battery or circuit when there is no load connected. This voltage is typically higher than the terminal voltage, which is the voltage when a load is connected and current is flowing. The difference between the two is due to the internal resistance of the battery.