Why Does Binding Energy Differ Between ^6Li and ^7Li?

In summary, the conversation discusses the semi-empirical mass formula and the difference in binding energy for elements ##^6 L_i## and ##^7L_i##. The question is why one binding energy is greater than the other, and the response mentions the concept of parity and odd-even pairing energy.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Q: With reference to the semi-emprical mass formula, explain why one binding energy is greater than the other?

The element in question is ##^6 L_i## & ##^7L_i##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far from what I have read I think the part of the equation they are ref to is the parity part have I got this correct? My issue is I am really trying to understand why it changes I look at the equation more and more and get confused by playing with the number and pluggin them into the equation, I have noticed for a A=7 and Z=3 the binding energy is higher but for A=6 and Z=3 the binding energy is lower. I did read some about odd even, but it did not make sense at the time, but it seem from just the number I plug in, that for odd even you have a lower binding energy than with an odd, odd but why is this?

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Why Does Binding Energy Differ Between ^6Li and ^7Li?

What is the Semi-emperical Mass Equation?

The Semi-emperical Mass Equation is a mathematical formula used in nuclear physics to estimate the nuclear binding energy of an atomic nucleus based on its number of protons and neutrons.

Who developed the Semi-emperical Mass Equation?

The Semi-emperical Mass Equation was developed by German physicist Carl Friedrich von Weizsäcker in 1935.

What is the significance of the Semi-emperical Mass Equation?

The Semi-emperical Mass Equation is important because it allows scientists to calculate the approximate nuclear binding energy of an atomic nucleus without conducting expensive and time-consuming experiments.

How accurate is the Semi-emperical Mass Equation?

The Semi-emperical Mass Equation is generally accurate to within a few percent for most atomic nuclei, but its accuracy decreases for very heavy or very light nuclei.

What are the inputs for the Semi-emperical Mass Equation?

The Semi-emperical Mass Equation takes into account the number of protons and neutrons in an atomic nucleus, as well as parameters that account for the nuclear shape and shell structure.