Why Does Calculating Binomial Probabilities Differ from Simple Outcome Ratios?

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of getting two successes from five Bernoulli trials. The formula for calculating this probability is given as P(n,k) = (n!)/(k!(n-k)!) * (p^k)(1-p)^(n-k), where p is the probability of success and n is the number of trials. However, there seems to be a misunderstanding about the concept of outcomes and the calculation of probabilities.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-9-11_16-36-2.png

upload_2017-9-11_15-59-33.png

I am not getting the above.
Let me calculate the probability of getting 2 successes from 5 Bernoulli trials.
There are total 10 possible outcomes as each trial has two possible outcomes.
The probability of getting one success is P(S1) = No. of successes / no. of total possible outcomes
= 5/10 = 1/2
The probability of getting another success = No. of successes / no. of total possible outcomes
= 4/9
So, the probability of getting two successes = 1/2(4/9)= 2/9
This doesn't match the answer given by the binomial distribution formula.
So, what is wrong here?

upload_2017-9-11_16-0-1.png

I couldn't understand how is binomial distribution sum of n independent Bernoulli trials?
If I denote ith trial by ##X_i ##, then how can k i.e. no. of successes be sum of the trials i.e.∑##_i X_i##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you say there are 10 possible outcomes in 5 Bernoulli trials you are making a conceptual error. Each trial yields 2 outcomes so there are a total of ##2\cdot 2\cdot 2 ...\cdot 2 = 2^{10}## outcomes when you consider specific sequences. But there are 5+1 = 6 possible outcomes {0,1,2,3,4,5} when you consider the specific values of the binomial random variable K = number of successes might take on.

You're trying to derive the probability of getting 1 success by counting outcomes. Doing that you need to count the ##2^{10}## outcomes if these are each equally probable. Of those you need to count how many yield 1 success. That will be 5 choose 1 = 5 ways BUT this assumes each outcome is equally probable. That would be true if x=1/2 but Bernoulli trials needn't be 50-50. If you're talking coin flips then great. If you're talking winning the lottery vs losing then, this won't work.

You have to use independence of the trials. The derivation is pretty straight forward. In your example of the probability of 1 success you calculate the probability of exactly 1 success in a given sequence. For example in 5 trials getting [success, fail ,fail, fail, fail]. The probability of this will be ##p\cdot q\cdot q\cdot q\cdot q## where ##q=1-p## is the failure probability. You then multiply this by the count of how many rearrangements of the specific sequence there are.

In general you'll find the probability of getting ##k## successes (and ##n-k## failures) in a specific sequence will be ## p^k\cdot (1-p)^{n-k}## and there will be ## n## choose ##k## ways to rearrange that sequence (by choosing which ##k## of the ##n## trials will be the successes).

So the general binomial probability formula is: ##P(n,k) = \frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!} p^k(1-p)^{n-k}##
If you didn't follow my exposition, there's 100's online. Start at Wolfram or Wikipedia, or your textbook.

Related to Why Does Calculating Binomial Probabilities Differ from Simple Outcome Ratios?

What is the Binomial Distribution?

The Binomial Distribution is a statistical probability distribution that describes the likelihood of obtaining a certain number of successes in a fixed number of independent trials, where each trial has only two possible outcomes (success or failure) and the probability of success remains the same for each trial.

What is the formula for the Binomial Distribution?

The formula for the Binomial Distribution is P(x) = (n choose x) * p^x * (1-p)^(n-x), where P(x) is the probability of getting x successes in n trials, p is the probability of success in each trial, and (n choose x) is the combination formula.

What are the assumptions of the Binomial Distribution?

The assumptions of the Binomial Distribution are that the trials are independent, each trial has only two possible outcomes, the probability of success remains constant for each trial, and the number of trials is fixed.

How is the Binomial Distribution used in real life?

The Binomial Distribution is commonly used in real life to model and predict outcomes in situations with binary outcomes, such as coin flips, election results, and medical studies. It is also used in quality control and market research.

What is the relationship between the Binomial Distribution and the Normal Distribution?

The Binomial Distribution is closely related to the Normal Distribution, as the former approaches the latter as the number of trials increases. This is known as the Central Limit Theorem, which states that as the sample size increases, the sampling distribution approaches a normal distribution, regardless of the shape of the population distribution.