Why Does Completing the Square Yield Complex Numbers in This Equation?

• Thread starter NoLimits
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary: So the y-intercept is (0,14) sincey=02−6(0)+14=14The function graphing tool shows you that the y-intercept is (0,14) which is the same as above.
NoLimits
Hi,

I am having trouble with completing the square in this question. I've looked at several online videos and I am still confused as to why I am not getting an answer that makes sense. I keep ending up with complex numbers and I am not sure what the next step to take is.

Homework Statement

Determine the equation of the tangent to the curve defined by f(x)=x^2-6x+14 at (1, 9) and then sketch it.

Homework Equations

[tex]f(x)=x^2-6x+14[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]f'(1) = lim_h→0 \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]
[tex]= lim_h→0 \frac{[(1+h)^2-6(1+h)+14]-[1^2-6(1)+14]}{h}[/tex]
[tex]= lim_h→0 \frac{[1+h+h^2+h+14]-[1-6+14]}{h}[/tex]
[tex]= lim_h→0 \frac{[1+2h+h^2+14]-[1-6+14]}{h}[/tex]
[tex]= lim_h→0 \frac{2h+h^2-6}{h}[/tex]
[tex]= lim_h→0 (2+h-6)[/tex]
[tex]= 2+(0)-6[/tex]
[tex]= -4[/tex]

Determine equation of tangent line:

[tex]y = mx+b[/tex]
[tex]9 = (-4)(-1) + b[/tex]
[tex]9 = -4 + b[/tex]
[tex]4 + 9 = b[/tex]
[tex]b = 13[/tex]

Therefore, the equation of the tangent to the curve is y= -4x + 13.

Completing the square:

[tex]x^2 - 6x + 14 = 0[/tex]
[tex]x^2 - 6x + 9 + 14 - 9 = 0[/tex]
[tex](x-3)^2 + 14 - 9 = 0[/tex]
[tex](x-3)^2 + 5 = 0[/tex]
[tex](x-3)^2 = -5[/tex]

[tex]
\sqrt{(x-3)^2} = +- \sqrt{-5}
[/tex]

[tex]x-3 = \sqrt{5}i[/tex]
[tex]x = \sqrt{5}i + 3[/tex]

and

[tex]x-3 = -\sqrt{5}i[/tex]
[tex]x = -\sqrt{5}i + 3[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi NoLimits!

NoLimits said:

This doesn't look right. Can you show how do you get ##(1+h)^2-6(1+h)+14## equal to ##1+h+h^2+h+14##?

Oops. I messed up there, however the end result of the equation (-4) is still the same. The line should've read:

[tex]1 + 2h + h^2 - 6 - 6h + 14[/tex]

By sheer luck you arrived at the correct answer (even after making many mistakes).

NoLimits said:

Can you break down what you did here? It's wrong, but it looks like it's wrong in quite a few places.

NoLimits said:
Determine equation of tangent line:

[tex]y = mx+b[/tex]
[tex]9 = (-4)(-1) + b[/tex]
[tex]9 = -4 + b[/tex]
[tex]4 + 9 = b[/tex]
[tex]b = 13[/tex]

Therefore, the equation of the tangent to the curve is y= -4x + 13.

This looks good.

NoLimits said:
Completing the square:

[tex]x^2 - 6x + 14 = 0[/tex]
[tex]x^2 - 6x + 9 + 14 - 9 = 0[/tex]
[tex](x-3)^2 + 14 - 9 = 0[/tex]
[tex](x-3)^2 + 5 = 0[/tex]
[tex](x-3)^2 = -5[/tex]

[tex]
\sqrt{(x-3)^2} = +- \sqrt{-5}
[/tex]

[tex]x-3 = \sqrt{5}i[/tex]
[tex]x = \sqrt{5}i + 3[/tex]

and

[tex]x-3 = -\sqrt{5}i[/tex]
[tex]x = -\sqrt{5}i + 3[/tex]

What does finding the roots of the parabola have to do with finding the tangent line to the parabola at a point? And yes, you won't have real roots because the parabola is entirely above the x-axis.

I'm not sure the relevance (if any) of finding the roots. I saw it done in a video, and since the question wants a sketch of the graph, I assumed that I would be needing two values (x and y) for the vertex, hence the need for two roots. Sorry about the screw-up on the equation - I usually do a better job checking before I post.

This is the corrected line where I think it all went wrong:
[tex]
1+2h+h^2−6−6h+14
[/tex]

So assuming I do not need the square roots, then the vertex must be (3, -5) and the y-intercept must be 9? Given the equations I have, it seems like they are the only possible values. However, when using a function graphing tool the y-intercept doesn't appear to be 9, nor does the vertex look like (3, -5). I can't seem to figure out how to go from the completed square to the values I need.

Have you read what the Mentallic wrote?

Mentallic said:
the parabola is entirely above the x-axis.

Completing the square is a way of finding roots of the equation - these are handy when you want to sketch the plot, but this equation has NO real roots, and doesn't cross the x-axis.

Borek said:
Have you read what the Mentallic wrote?
Completing the square is a way of finding roots of the equation - these are handy when you want to sketch the plot, but this equation has NO real roots, and doesn't cross the x-axis.

Yes I have read it, which is why I responded with what I did, though I did not completely understand what was meant by it. The question wants me to sketch it, so if the equation has no real roots and doesn't cross the x-axis, how is that possible? Just plug in x-values to the original equation?

Last edited:
Guess so. Thanks.

NoLimits said:
So assuming I do not need the square roots, then the vertex must be (3, -5)
Not exactly. As you've shown, after completing the square you end up with

[tex]y=(x-3)^2+5[/tex]

Let's analyse this result for a second. We know that [itex]n^2\geq 0[/itex] for any real value of n, and most importantly, it's equal to 0 when n=0. So if we extend this to having (something)2 then that's also always going to be greater than or equal to 0. It's again equal to 0 when something = 0.
What we have is [itex](x-3)^2[/itex]. This means when x-3 = 0, hence x=3, we get [itex](x-3)^2=0[/itex] so then

[tex]y=0+5[/tex]

So our minimum point on the parabola which is the vertex is at (3,5) which is above the x-axis and since this parabola has a positive coefficient of x2, this means that it opens upwards, and this makes sense with why you were finding complex roots because it never cuts the x-axis.

NoLimits said:
and the y-intercept must be 9? Given the equations I have, it seems like they are the only possible values. However, when using a function graphing tool the y-intercept doesn't appear to be 9, nor does the vertex look like (3, -5). I can't seem to figure out how to go from the completed square to the values I need.
The y-intercept happens when you plug x=0 into the equation of the parabola. Similarly when you're finding roots of the equation, the x-intercept happens when you find y=0.

FAQ: Why Does Completing the Square Yield Complex Numbers in This Equation?

1. What is the purpose of completing the square?

The purpose of completing the square is to solve quadratic equations by expressing them in the form of (x + a)^2 + b. This allows for easier factorization and finding the vertex of a parabola.

2. How is completing the square different from the quadratic formula?

Completing the square is a method for solving quadratic equations by rearranging the terms and factoring, while the quadratic formula is a formula that directly gives the solutions to a quadratic equation.

3. Can completing the square be used for all quadratic equations?

Yes, completing the square can be used to solve any quadratic equation, even those with complex solutions.

4. Is there a specific order or steps to complete the square?

Yes, there are specific steps to complete the square, which include: 1) making sure the coefficient of the squared term is 1, 2) moving the constant term to the other side of the equation, 3) adding the square of half the coefficient of the x term to both sides, and 4) factoring the perfect square on the left side and simplifying.

5. How is completing the square used in real-world applications?

Completing the square is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving projectile motion, such as finding the maximum height or range of a thrown object. It is also used in optimization problems in business and economics to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.

Back