Why Does ds^2 Equal 0 in Metrics?

• I
  • Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, the value of ds^2=0 for light is a coordinate-independent statement and holds true for all metrics and spacetimes. This is because light is massless and travels along null geodesics, which is the mathematical representation of the second postulate of special relativity.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
In FLWR metric or in Minkowski metric or in any general metric can we say that ##ds^2=0## cause speed of light should be constant to all observers ?

Or there's another reason ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean? What ##ds^2## is depends on the world-line you are considering. ##ds^2 = 0## corresponds to a light-like curve. This is a coordinate independent statement and it will be true for the light-like curve regardless of the coordinate system you use.

In FLRW metric when we measure the redshift we assume ##ds^2=0##. Like also in minkowski metric ##ds^2=0## cause only in that case we can get c=dx/dt.

Probably I should add to the question why for a light ##ds^2=0##...

Arman777 said:
In FLRW metric when we measure the redshift we assume ##ds^2=0##.

This is not a measurement of redshift. It is a computation of the redshift based on the FLRW universe. Studying light, it is quite clear that we must use a light-like geodesics.

Like also in minkowski metric ##ds^2=0## cause only in that case we can get c=dx/dt.

Probably I should add to the question why for a light ##ds^2=0##...

Light is massless and moves along null geodesics.

Orodruin said:
This is not a measurement of redshift. It is a computation of the redshift based on the FLRW universe. Studying light, it is quite clear that we must use a light-like geodesics.

Hmm I see, I ll do more research on light-like geodesic case.

I haven't seen it yet so I was confused about the reason. I guess I can understand why we use ##ds^2=0##.

Arman777 said:
In FLRW metric when we measure the redshift we assume ds2=0ds2=0ds^2=0.
The redshift you are talking about is for light. Light travels on null geodesics. Therefore ##ds^2=0##. It is not a general statement about the metric, it is a specific statement about light.

Arman777 said:
Like also in minkowski metric ds2=0ds2=0ds^2=0 cause only in that case we can get c=dx/dt.
Same thing here. For light ##ds^2=0## for the reason you gave. But for massive objects ##ds^2<0## and for hypothetical tachyons ##ds^2>0##.

Arman777 said:
Probably I should add to the question why for a light ds2=0ds2=0ds^2=0...
If you write down the metric, set ##ds^2=0##, then what are you left with? The equation of a sphere of radius ##ct##. This is something traveling at c in all directions, which is the second postulate. Therefore, ##ds^2=0## for light is the mathematical statement of the second postulate.

Likes Arman777 and Bandersnatch
Dale said:
Same thing here. For light ##ds^2=0## for the reason you gave. But for massive objects ##ds^2<0## and for hypothetical tachyons ##ds^2>0##.
I think it should be qualified that whether ##ds^2 > 0## or ##ds^2 < 0## for time-like world lines depends on the sign convention for the metric. Mathematicians and GR people generally prefer ##ds^2 < 0## while particle physicists prefer ##ds^2 > 0##. Always check which convention is being used in the particular text. Of course, this does not affect ##ds^2 = 0## for null world lines.

Orodruin said:
I think it should be qualified that whether ds2>0ds2>0ds^2 > 0 or ds2<0ds2<0ds^2 < 0 for time-like world lines depends on the sign convention for the metric.
Yes, good point. My preferred convention is to write ##ds^2## when I am using the (-+++) convention and to write ##d\tau^2## when I am using the (+---) convention

Dale said:
It is not a general statement about the metric, it is a specific statement about light.
Yes I tried to mean that, as I understood from your post for light ##ds^2=0##. But Is this true for all of the metrics ?
In example For Minkowski metric we are working on light rays then ##ds^2=0##, in FLRW metric , we are working on light then ##ds^2=0## etc. ?

Or there could be a metric where we can't set ##ds^2=0## for light ?

Dale said:
If you write down the metric, set ds2=0ds2=0ds^2=0, then what are you left with? The equation of a sphere of radius ctctct. This is something traveling at c in all directions, which is the second postulate. Therefore, ds2=0ds2=0ds^2=0 for light is the mathematical statement of the second postulate.
I see, thanks
Also,
Orodruin said:
Light is massless and moves along null geodesics.
I understand it now

Arman777 said:
But Is this true for all of the metrics ?
Yes, it is true for all metrics and all spacetimes

Likes Arman777
Dale said:
Yes, it is true for all metrics and all spacetimes
Thanks a lot

Related to Why Does ds^2 Equal 0 in Metrics?

1. Why does ds^2 equal 0 in metrics?

The value of ds^2 being equal to 0 in metrics is a result of the metric tensor, which measures the distance between two points in a given space. In certain cases, such as in a flat or empty space, the metric tensor is defined as ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2, leading to a value of 0.

2. What does ds^2 represent in metrics?

In metrics, ds^2 represents the squared distance between two points in a given space. This is calculated using the metric tensor, which is a mathematical tool used to measure distances and angles in a particular space.

3. How is ds^2 used in the calculation of spacetime intervals?

In the theory of relativity, ds^2 is used to calculate spacetime intervals, which represent the distance between two events in spacetime. This is done by taking the square root of the difference between the squared space interval (dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2) and the squared time interval (c^2dt^2).

4. Can ds^2 ever be negative in metrics?

Yes, in certain cases, ds^2 can be negative in metrics. This occurs in spaces with a negative curvature, such as in the theory of general relativity, where the metric tensor is defined as ds^2 = -dt^2 + dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2.

5. How does the value of ds^2 affect the geometry of a space?

The value of ds^2 has a direct impact on the geometry of a space. In spaces with a positive value of ds^2, known as Euclidean spaces, the geometry is flat and follows the rules of Euclidean geometry. In spaces with a negative value of ds^2, known as non-Euclidean spaces, the geometry is curved and follows the rules of non-Euclidean geometry.