Why Does Faraday's Law Appear Differently in Various Units?

In summary, there are two different expressions of Faraday's law, one using SI units and the other using Gaussian or Lorentz-Heaviside units. The latter is not commonly seen and may be a misprint or error. It is suggested to refer to the source or ask the lecturer for clarification.
Azelketh
This is maddening and i cannot find a concise explanation anywhere despite the simplicity of this question.

I keep coming across faradays law expressed as
[tex] \text{curl}\left(\mathbf{E}\right) = -\frac{1}{C^2} \frac{\partial\mathbf{B}}{\partial t}
[/tex]
Im only used to working in SI units so all i can do is guess that this is expressed in gaussian units?
and
[tex] \text{curl}\left(\mathbf{E}\right) = -\frac{1}{C} \frac{\partial\mathbf{B}}{\partial t}
[/tex]

Can anyone explain these 2 different expressions of faradays law?

Physics news on Phys.org
Azelketh said:
This is maddening and i cannot find a concise explanation anywhere despite the simplicity of this question.

I keep coming across faradays law expressed as
[tex] \text{curl}\left(\mathbf{E}\right) = -\frac{1}{C^2} \frac{\partial\mathbf{B}}{\partial t}
[/tex]
Im only used to working in SI units so all i can do is guess that this is expressed in gaussian units?
and
[tex] \text{curl}\left(\mathbf{E}\right) = -\frac{1}{C} \frac{\partial\mathbf{B}}{\partial t}
[/tex]

Can anyone explain these 2 different expressions of faradays law?
The latter uses Gaussian, or Lorentz-Heaviside units. I have to admit to never seeing the former in a general expression for Faraday's law before. Do you have a reference for where you "came across" this form?

hmm, the 1/c^2 expression I've only come across once in some lecture slides for uni electromagnetism module. If you've never come it expressed in that form then it could simply be a misprint/error. As the uni course is in recess for summer break here until october it's dificulty in simply asking the lecturer who wrote them. Thanks for clearing that up Hootenanny, i'll just take it as a misprint. :)

Related to Why Does Faraday's Law Appear Differently in Various Units?

1. What is Faraday's law and why is it important?

Faraday's law, also known as Faraday's electromagnetic induction law, states that a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a conductor. This law is important because it explains the relationship between electricity and magnetism, and is the basis for many technological advancements such as generators, motors, and transformers.

2. What are the units of measurement for Faraday's law?

The units of measurement for Faraday's law are amperes (A) for current, teslas (T) for magnetic field, and meters per second (m/s) for velocity.

3. How is Faraday's law expressed in different unit systems?

In the International System of Units (SI), Faraday's law is expressed as E = -N(dΦ/dt), where E represents the induced electromotive force (EMF), N is the number of turns in the conductor, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux. In the cgs (centimeter-gram-second) system, the law is expressed as E = -N(dΦ/dt) x 108, and in the British imperial system, it is expressed as E = -N(dΦ/dt) x 1011.

4. How does Faraday's law relate to Lenz's law?

Faraday's law and Lenz's law are closely related. Lenz's law states that the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux that caused it, in accordance with the law of conservation of energy. This means that the direction of the induced current is always such that it creates a magnetic field that opposes the changing magnetic field that induced it, as described by Faraday's law.

5. How is Faraday's law applied in everyday life?

Faraday's law is applied in many everyday devices and technologies. Generators and motors use Faraday's law to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy and vice versa. Transformers also use Faraday's law to change the voltage of an alternating current. Induction cooktops, metal detectors, and electric shavers are other examples of everyday applications of Faraday's law.