Why Does Green's Theorem Have a Negative Sign in the Area Integral?

In summary, when integrating in a type I region, the -ve sign in front of ##-\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dA## is necessary because the higher value function, ##g_2(x)##, is oriented from b to a. This means that when integrating from a to b, the sign must be changed in order to integrate from low to high. Similarly, in a type II region, the +ve sign in front of ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dA## is necessary because the higher value function, ##h_2(x)##, is oriented from c to d. Therefore, the sign depends on the direction of the higher value function, with a change necessary
yungman
This is a copy of the book:
[PLAIN]http://i38.tinypic.com/20faqnc.jpg[/PLAIN]

I know the derivation part, I just want to see whether I understand why the -ve sign of ##-\frac {\partial f}{\partial y}dA## in a more common sense way.

From looking at the graph for type I region, ##g_2(x)## is above ##g_1(x)## referenced to y axis. So the integral has to be ##g_2(x)-g_1(x)##. BUT the orientation of curve of ##g_2(x)## is from b to a. So if we want to integrate from a to b, we need to put a -ve sign.

From the type II region, ##h_2(x)## is above ##h_1(x)## referenced to x axis. So the integral has to be ##h_2(x)-h_1(x)##. The orientation of curve of ##h_2(x)## is from c to d. So if we want to integrate from c to d, it would be +ve sign.

Am I getting it right?

Bottom line is the sign depends on the direction of the higher value function of the two ( ie. ##g_2(t)≥g_1(t)##). If the direction is from high value to low value, then the sign has to be change to make it from low to high ( ie. ##g_2(t)## oriented from b to a. So sign needed to be change to integrate from a to b).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone please?

Anyone can comment? Even opinions are really appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

FAQ: Why Does Green's Theorem Have a Negative Sign in the Area Integral?

1. What is Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a fundamental theorem in multivariable calculus that relates the line integral of a vector field over a closed curve to the double integral of the curl of the same vector field over the region enclosed by the curve.

2. What is the significance of Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is significant because it provides a powerful tool for calculating line integrals and surface integrals in two dimensions. It also has many applications in physics, engineering, and other areas of mathematics.

3. How do you prove Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem can be proved using the fundamental theorem of calculus and the divergence theorem. It involves breaking down a closed curve into small line segments and using the properties of line integrals and double integrals to show that they are equal.

4. What are the conditions for using Green's Theorem?

The conditions for using Green's Theorem are that the closed curve must be simple (not self-intersecting) and that the vector field must have continuous partial derivatives over the region enclosed by the curve. The region must also be bounded by a simple, closed curve.

5. What are some real-world applications of Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem has many real-world applications, such as calculating the work done by a force field on a moving object, calculating the mass and center of mass of a two-dimensional object, and solving problems in fluid mechanics and electromagnetism.