Why Does Heat Capacity Approach Zero at Temperature Extremes?

This is in contrast to the definition of heat capacity, which suggests that large differences in energy compared to small differences in temperature result in a large heat capacity. This discrepancy can be explained by the extreme conditions of high and low temperatures, where the spacing of energy levels is not conducive to significant changes in temperature. In summary, at high and low temperatures, the heat capacity with respect to constant volume goes to zero because the spacing of energy levels does not allow for significant changes in temperature with added energy.
benbenny
For a system of distinguishable particles I am reading that at the limit of high temperatures, and at the limit of low temperatures the heat capacity with respect to constant volume, goes to zero. I've read that the reason for this is that at high temperatures, and low temperatures, the spacing of the energy levels for the system are [tex] \Delta\epsilon >> kT [/tex], and [tex]\Delta \epsilon << kT [/tex] respectively, and therefore, the system cannot adsorb energy at these limits. I am trying to reconcile this information with my knowledge of the heat capacity to be the change in temperature of a system per added unit of energy.

I would imagine that the large spacing between the energy levels means that inputting enough energy into the system will cause a relatively large change in the energy of the system compared with the temperature of the system, and thus that the heat capacity would be large at low temperatures, and vice versa in the case of high temperatures. This is also how understand the definition of heat capacity [tex] C_v = \frac{\partial U}{\partial T} [/tex] which to me implies that big differences of energy compared with small differences in temperature imply large heat capacity. Can someone help me understand why I am wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The issue is that at high and low temperatures, the spacing of energy levels is so large that adding additional energy does not significantly affect the temperature of the system. At high temperatures, the energy levels are so far apart that even a large amount of energy does not cause much of a change in the energy of the system, and thus the temperature of the system. At low temperatures, the energy levels are so close together that adding additional energy does not cause a significant increase in the energy of the system, and thus the temperature of the system. This means that at high and low temperatures, the heat capacity will be low because the change in temperature per unit of energy will be small.

FAQ: Why Does Heat Capacity Approach Zero at Temperature Extremes?

1. What is heat capacity?

Heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is a measure of the ability of a substance to store thermal energy.

2. How is heat capacity measured?

Heat capacity is typically measured in units of joules per degree Celsius (J/°C) or calories per degree Celsius (cal/°C). It can be experimentally determined by measuring the amount of heat energy needed to raise the temperature of a substance by a certain amount.

3. What factors affect heat capacity?

The heat capacity of a substance is influenced by its mass, composition, and physical state. It also varies with temperature, with most substances having a higher heat capacity at higher temperatures.

4. Why is heat capacity important?

Understanding heat capacity is crucial in various fields such as thermodynamics, chemistry, and engineering. It helps us predict how substances will respond to changes in temperature and how much energy is needed to achieve a desired temperature change.

5. How does heat capacity relate to specific heat?

Specific heat is a measure of the heat capacity of a substance per unit mass. It is essentially the heat capacity divided by the substance's mass. As such, specific heat is often used in calculations involving heat capacity, as it takes into account the amount of material present.

Back