Why does high surface energy of the solid have more wetting?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between plasma surface treatment and the improved wettability of industrial inks or paints on the treated surface. The article suggests that the transfer of plasma energy to the surface increases its surface energy, leading to better wetting and improved adhesion of liquids. The concept of adhesion and its connection to high surface energy materials is also mentioned, with the understanding that the exact mechanism of how plasma affects the surface is still being studied. Additional resources are suggested for further research on the topic.
goodphy
Hello.

Recently, I have read the article about plasma surface treatment.

The article says contact of the plasma to the surface of the sample increases surface energy by transferring plasma energy to the surface. Then it is suddenly saying that wettability of some industrial ink or paints on that surface becomes improved.

So I can only suspect that wettability and the surface energy of the sample is correlated. But I don't know how they're related.

Could you please tell me why the higher surface energy of the sample attracts liquids more so wetting becomes good?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wetting is associated with the adhesion forces at the contact surface - which are mostly van der waals.
high surface energy materials have lots due to their atomic arrangement.

Look up "adhesion".

Simon Bridge said:
Wetting is associated with the adhesion forces at the contact surface - which are mostly van der waals.
high surface energy materials have lots due to their atomic arrangement.

Look up "adhesion".

Thanks for commenting me.

Am...could you please make your comments detailed? atomic arrangement? Do you mean that more tight bonding of the medium results in more surface energy of that medium? If it is, how does the plasma makes tighter bonding?

I've looked up adhesion but...still feel difficulty about how plasma actually alters the surface so the surface energy is increased and how surface energy is related to adhesion.

There are a lot of different kinds of surfaces that may be characterized as "high energy" so it is difficult to be precise or details - the best I can do is point you in the kind of direction likely to be helpful. Then you can learn enough to narrow down your inquirey.

The "surface energy" is a measure of how hard it is to break up the surface. Covalent crystals like metals tend to have high surface energies.
Materals in real life are not usually perfect - the surfaces have cracks, impurities, and lumps. A Plasma washing over a surface can, for instance, carry off surface deformaties and add other atoms and/or coating the material with something stronger.
The exact mechanism depends on the exact treatment used.

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=1438429&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fxpls%2Fabs_all.jsp%3Farnumber%3D1438429
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0167572996800033

Likes goodphy

FAQ: Why does high surface energy of the solid have more wetting?

1. Why does a high surface energy of a solid result in better wetting?

When a solid has a high surface energy, it means that the molecules on its surface have a strong attraction to other molecules. This strong attraction allows the liquid to spread out and come into close contact with the solid surface, resulting in better wetting.

2. How does the surface energy of a solid affect wetting?

The surface energy of a solid directly affects the wetting behavior because it determines the strength of the attractive forces between the solid and the liquid. A higher surface energy means stronger attractive forces and better wetting.

3. Can surface energy of a solid be manipulated to improve wetting?

Yes, the surface energy of a solid can be modified through various methods such as surface treatments or coatings. By increasing the surface energy, the wetting behavior of the solid can be improved.

4. What is the relationship between surface energy and contact angle?

Surface energy and contact angle have an inverse relationship. A higher surface energy of a solid results in a lower contact angle, meaning that the liquid will spread out more easily and have better wetting.

5. How does the wetting behavior of a solid affect adhesion?

The wetting behavior of a solid plays a crucial role in adhesion. A solid with better wetting will have stronger adhesion to a liquid, as the liquid can come into closer contact with the solid surface and form stronger bonds.