Why Does Ink Move Rapidly on a Film When Refilling a Fountain Pen?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a fountain pen for calculations and the observation of a thin film of ink forming around the mouth of the ink bottle when refilling the pen. The film appeared to have rapid, random movements similar to the colors created when oil mixes with water. The cause of these movements is speculated to be due to thin film interference and the constant state of flux of H bonds in water. It is suggested to investigate further to confirm this theory.
mahela007
In spite of the widespread ball point pen, I still use a fountain pen for calculations.. One day, I ran out of ink while writing (duh..) and opened the cap of my ink bottle to refill my pen. Now, as I opened the cap, a thin film of ink was formed around the mouth of the bottle.. in other words, it was like a partially formed bubble.. Now, because this was ink, I was able to see, rapid, random looking movements on this film/membrane of ink...Imagine the colors you get when oil mixes / floats on water.. now imagine those colors were all blue and imagine them constantly moving, turning, twisting etc..
what do you think caused these weird movements? I've read that the H bonds of water are in a constant state of flux and that the bonds keep forming and breaking... could this be the cause?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
An interesting observation and I suspect it was thin film interfernce,similar to the oil on water pattern you described.The movement could be due to the water draining and evaporating.

thanks... I'll check that out.

Related to Why Does Ink Move Rapidly on a Film When Refilling a Fountain Pen?

What is the purpose of explaining an observation?

The purpose of explaining an observation is to provide a logical and evidence-based explanation for a particular phenomenon or event. This can help to deepen our understanding of the natural world and inform future research or experiments.

What should be included in an explanation of an observation?

An explanation of an observation should include a clear description of the observation, any relevant background information, and a logical and supported explanation for the observed phenomenon. It should also address any potential alternative explanations and provide evidence to support the chosen explanation.

Why is it important to use scientific evidence in explaining an observation?

Using scientific evidence in explaining an observation is important because it allows for a more objective and reliable explanation. Scientific evidence is gathered through rigorous experimentation and is subject to peer review, making it a more trustworthy source of information.

How can we ensure that our explanation of an observation is accurate?

To ensure accuracy in our explanation of an observation, we can use the scientific method. This involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, conducting experiments, and analyzing the results. By following this process, we can eliminate bias and arrive at a more accurate explanation.

What should we do if we are unable to explain an observation?

If we are unable to explain an observation, it is important to acknowledge this and continue to explore possible explanations. This may involve conducting further research or seeking input from other scientists. It is also important to be open to the possibility that the observation may not have a clear explanation at the current time.