Why does kwashiorkor affect mostly children?

• Thread starter cooley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Children
In summary: Why not during childhood?Kwashiorkor is caused by a lack of protein and energy, usually around the time of weaning. Adults have more energy stores and are more resistant to protein deficiencies, which is why it tends to occur in adults rather than children. There is no clear reason for why it "suddenly" develops in middle age, but it is thought that this is because adults have more opportunity to develop the disorder due to changes in their lifestyles or diet.
cooley
Why does kwashiorkor affect mostly children and not as many adults in areas with starchy foods and protein deficiency?

Biology news on Phys.org
I found an article on protein-energy malnutrition (which includes kwashiorkor) that might give some insight:
http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic797.htm

It seems this disorder often appears around the time of weaning, which would relate to a quick reduction in protein intake, but it looks like there are many factors considered.

Thank you for your reply. I do have this article already printed out. Could an adults' greater muscle mass to draw upon in times of protein deficiencies be a factor? My thoughts are directed toward the damage done in a child with undiagnosed celiac and what the long term implications could be for the gluten free compliant child after the intestinal damage has healed. I'm also wondering if there is any correlation between the maladaptive response to starvation with kwashiorkor and the distended abdomen in some celiac patients.

Math Is Hard said:
It seems this disorder often appears around the time of weaning, which would relate to a quick reduction in protein intake, but it looks like there are many factors considered.

That is marasmus (severe lack of protein AND energy) that occurs before age of 1 and occurs around the time of weaning...

Kwashiorkor is only severe lack of protein... The energy intake is adequate... You tend to get this ~10 years old..

You can get kwashior-masrasmus... The distinction isn't always clear... The symptoms for both are different...

Adults don't need as much energy since they aren't growing and they have increased energy supplies... They are much more resistance to protein deficiency and starvation diseases...

Btw, I was diagnosed with coeliac disease when i was a baby... I had a moon face and a fat belly like in kwashiorkor... It's to do with lack of protein absorption... not enough albumin (blood protein) is produced... Not enough reabsorption of tissue fluid into cappilary and so you get oedema (tissue swelling) - causes moon face and swollen belly... The good news is that as long as you stick to a gluten free diet then there isn't any problems... I can vouch for that...

What I find strange about it is why do so many people 'suddenly' seem to develop it during middle age...

Last edited:

FAQ: Why does kwashiorkor affect mostly children?

1. What is kwashiorkor in children?

Kwashiorkor is a form of severe malnutrition that is primarily seen in young children. It is caused by a lack of protein in the diet, leading to a range of physical and developmental symptoms.

2. What are the symptoms of kwashiorkor in children?

The most common symptoms of kwashiorkor in children include a swollen belly, thinning hair, dry and flaky skin, fatigue, and slow growth. Other symptoms may include irritability, loss of appetite, and changes in skin color.

3. What causes kwashiorkor in children?

Kwashiorkor is caused by a lack of protein in the diet, which is essential for growth and development. This can occur when a child does not have access to enough food or is not receiving a balanced diet with enough protein. In some cases, underlying health conditions can also contribute to the development of kwashiorkor.

4. How is kwashiorkor in children diagnosed?

Kwashiorkor can be diagnosed through a combination of physical examination, medical history, and laboratory tests. A doctor may look for physical signs such as a swollen belly or changes in skin color, as well as conduct blood tests to measure protein levels and check for other nutritional deficiencies.

5. Can kwashiorkor in children be treated?

Yes, kwashiorkor in children can be treated through a combination of nutritional rehabilitation and medical care. This typically involves providing a balanced diet with adequate protein, as well as treating any underlying health conditions. In severe cases, hospitalization and specialized treatment may be necessary.