Why does math describe physics so perfectly?

• Thread starter mpatryluk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the equation for gravitational attraction is based on the law of exponents, which predicts that the strength of the gravitational force is inversely related to the surface of an N-sphere or radius r.
mpatryluk
How is it that the numbers we get for our equations describe the laws of physics so cleanly? As a good example, take the equation for gravitational attraction.

The strength of the gravitational attraction is divided by the distance squared, AKA the distance x the distance itself.

But r^2 seems like too perfect of a coincidence. Why wouldn't it be to the power of some random non whole number that reflected the randomness of the universe?
i.e.

r^2.02934

This means there must be something special and fundamental about whole number exponentials, but I am not sure what it is or why it is.

So why exactly is it that the distance is multiplied by itself exactly once in that equation, and many others?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the case you mention, it's because we live in 3.00000 dimensional space, and that power is d-1.

1/r2 has the nice property that the orbit of a planet is an ellipse (if we neglect the influence of the other planets).

General relativity predicts that the orbits are not exactly ellipses. If I remember correctly, it predicts a result that corresponds to what we'd get from Newtonian mechanics with terms proportional to 1/r2, 1/r3, 1/r4, and so on in the formula for the gravitational force.

Vanadium 50 said:
In the case you mention, it's because we live in 3.00000 dimensional space, and that power is d-1.

Ahh, i didnt expect an answer relating to the dimensionality of space, that's very interesting, and makes perfect sense.

Unfortunately, i have no idea why it makes perfect sense, and don't understand the logic of the relationship between number of dimensions and degree of exponents.

Dare i ask why? Or would that be too complicated?

Also, that d-1 rule applies as a blanket for any dimensional space? Does that mean that a 9 dimensional space would have r^8?

In this case, the strength of the field in N dimensions is inversely related to the surface of an N-sphere or radius r. In 3 dimensions, the area is 4pi r^2, and there is your 1/r^2. In 9 dimensions, the area of a 9-sphere is something like 32pi^4/105 r^8, so there you get a 1/r^8 field.

FAQ: Why does math describe physics so perfectly?

1. Why is math used to describe physics?

Math is used to describe physics because it is a universal language that allows scientists to express complex concepts and ideas in a precise and concise manner. It provides a framework for organizing and understanding the laws and principles of physics.

2. How does math accurately describe the physical world?

Math accurately describes the physical world by providing a set of rules and equations that can be used to model and predict the behavior of natural phenomena. These mathematical models have been extensively tested and have consistently shown to accurately reflect the behavior of the physical world.

3. Why do physicists prefer math over other languages to describe the laws of nature?

Physicists prefer math over other languages because it is a precise and unambiguous way of describing the laws of nature. It allows for clear communication and facilitates the development of complex theories and models.

4. Can physics be described without using math?

While some concepts in physics can be described without using math, it is not possible to fully understand and explain the laws of nature without using mathematical equations and models. Math provides a rigorous and systematic approach to studying the physical world.

5. How has the use of math in physics evolved over time?

The use of math in physics has evolved significantly over time. In ancient times, philosophers used simple geometric concepts to explain natural phenomena. With the development of calculus and other mathematical tools, scientists were able to create more complex models and theories. Today, the use of advanced mathematical concepts, such as differential equations and linear algebra, allows for a deeper understanding of the laws of nature.

Back