Why Does My Calculation of h(z) = Re(z) / Im(z) Yield -12i Instead of 12?

In summary, the student is having difficulty solving a homework problem that asks them to evaluate the function h(z) = Re(z) / Im(z). The answer is supposedly in the back of the book, but the student keeps getting an answer of -12i. The student is able to solve the problem easily once they realize that Re(z) and Im(z) are both REAL and their ratio must be real.
pistolpete333
Hi, so for a homework problem I have to evaluate these complex functions. The one I am having trouble on is:

evaluate h(z) = Re(z) / Im(z) where z = (5-2i) / (2 - i)

The answer is in the back of the book, which says that the solution is 12, however I keep getting -12i for my answer. I just need someone to tell me where am going wrong.

I first multiply z by (2 + i) / (2 + i) in order to move the imaginary number to the top, which leaves me with (12 + i) / 5, I then take the real part, 12 / 5 , and put it over the imaginary part, i / 5, and simplify this to 12 / i , where I multiply this by i / i , which leaves me with -12i

The answer is supposed to be 12, so if anyone could shed some light on this that would be great. Thanks everyone

Physics news on Phys.org
The imaginary part of 12/5 + (1/5)i is 1/5.

pistolpete333 said:
Hi, so for a homework problem I have to evaluate these complex functions. The one I am having trouble on is:

evaluate h(z) = Re(z) / Im(z) where z = (5-2i) / (2 - i)

The answer is in the back of the book, which says that the solution is 12, however I keep getting -12i for my answer. I just need someone to tell me where am going wrong.

I first multiply z by (2 + i) / (2 + i) in order to move the imaginary number to the top, which leaves me with (12 + i) / 5, I then take the real part, 12 / 5 , and put it over the imaginary part, i / 5, and simplify this to 12 / i , where I multiply this by i / i , which leaves me with -12i

The answer is supposed to be 12, so if anyone could shed some light on this that would be great. Thanks everyone

Re(z) and Im(z) are both REAL, so their ratio must be real as well.

Wow that was pretty obvious. I knew I was messing something up, thanks guys

FAQ: Why Does My Calculation of h(z) = Re(z) / Im(z) Yield -12i Instead of 12?

What is a complex function and how does it differ from a regular function?

A complex function is a mathematical function that involves complex numbers as inputs and outputs. Complex numbers are numbers that include a real part and an imaginary part, and they are typically written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1). Regular functions, on the other hand, only involve real numbers as inputs and outputs.

What are some common examples of complex functions?

Some common examples of complex functions include trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent, as well as logarithmic and exponential functions. Complex functions are also used in fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and signal processing.

How are complex functions used in scientific research?

Complex functions are used in scientific research to model and analyze systems that involve complex numbers, such as electrical circuits and quantum mechanics. They are also used in statistics and data analysis to describe and predict the behavior of complex systems.

What are some common techniques for solving complex functions?

Some common techniques for solving complex functions include using Euler's formula, which relates complex numbers to trigonometric functions, and using techniques from calculus such as differentiation and integration. Computer programs and calculators can also be used to solve complex functions.

What are some tips for beginners learning about complex functions?

For beginners learning about complex functions, it is important to have a strong understanding of basic algebra and trigonometry. It can also be helpful to visualize complex numbers on a complex plane and practice converting between the rectangular and polar forms of complex numbers. It is also important to practice solving problems and seek help from resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and tutors when needed.