Why Does My CMOS Circuit Fail to Pull Up?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter jisbon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit Cmos
In summary, the conversation is about a step down/step up circuit and how the output is supposed to work. The person is confused about why their circuit is not working properly and asks for clarification. The other person suggests studying simpler CMOS circuits to better understand the concept.
jisbon
Homework Statement
Construct a CMOS circuit from (A'+B.C)'
Relevant Equations
-
As attached below, I have drawn the step down and up diagram. However comparing to the answer, it seems to be way too off. Any idea why?

1587712459743.png

Answer:
1587712489224.png

Is there something wrong with my step down/step up circuit?

Physics news on Phys.org
How does your output ever pull up?

phyzguy said:
How does your output ever pull up?
Hi there, I'm not sure what you are specifying about as I am pretty new to this. I watched this video and learned from him though:
He stated that for pull-down, I should just simply draw the equation out without the inverse, which is what I have done

The point is that the output has to be able to pull up (high) and be able to pull down (low). Look at the correct answer. The output pulls down through the NMOS transistors, and pulls up through the PMOS transistors (the ones with the circles). In your circuit, there is nothing to pull the output up. Try studying some simpler CMOS circuits - inverters, NAND gates, NOR gates, and try to understand how they work.

Likes berkeman

Related to Why Does My CMOS Circuit Fail to Pull Up?

1. What is a CMOS circuit?

A CMOS (Complementary Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor) circuit is a type of integrated circuit that uses both NMOS (n-type metal-oxide-semiconductor) and PMOS (p-type metal-oxide-semiconductor) transistors to create logic gates and other digital circuits. It is widely used in electronic devices due to its low power consumption and high noise immunity.

2. How is a CMOS circuit constructed?

A CMOS circuit is constructed by arranging NMOS and PMOS transistors in a complementary fashion, with the NMOS transistor acting as a switch for logic 0 and the PMOS transistor acting as a switch for logic 1. The transistors are connected in series and parallel to create logic gates, such as AND, OR, and NOT gates.

3. What are the advantages of using a CMOS circuit?

One of the main advantages of a CMOS circuit is its low power consumption, as it only uses power when switching between logic states. It also has a high noise immunity, meaning it is less susceptible to external interference. Additionally, CMOS circuits can be miniaturized, making them ideal for use in small electronic devices.

4. What are some common applications of CMOS circuits?

CMOS circuits are used in a wide range of electronic devices, including computers, smartphones, digital cameras, and televisions. They are also commonly used in microcontrollers, which are small computers used in embedded systems such as household appliances, cars, and industrial machinery.

5. How do you test a CMOS circuit?

To test a CMOS circuit, a multimeter or oscilloscope can be used to measure the voltage levels at different points in the circuit. A logic analyzer can also be used to analyze the digital signals and ensure they are functioning correctly. Additionally, simulation software can be used to test the circuit before it is physically constructed.