Why does my microphone hum change when I touch different objects?

In summary, the conversation discusses a humming noise with a microphone and how touching different metal surfaces affects the noise. It is determined that the noise is caused by ground looping sound and can be reduced by grounding oneself or the equipment. However, ground currents may also increase the noise. The potential danger of experimenting with electrical equipment is also mentioned.
fawk3s
Noticed something interesting about my microphone today and can't stop thinking about it.
So there's always been this humming noise with my microphone (I can clearly hear it since I am using headphones), but I've never really thought about it. Now suddenly today my foot touched the metal casing of another PC, and the humming stopped. I was confused, so I tried different things:

Touching the metal case of that PC would minimize the humming.
Touching an USB port on my PC (metal) would also minimize it.
Touching a metal piece on a radiator in my room would amplify the humming sound.

And then I noticed something even more strange - when the tip of the microphone (where you're supposed to speak in) was NOT pointed towards me, then me touching the USB port, the metal case of the PC or the radiator did NOT have as much effect as when it WAS pointed towards me.

Apparently this is supposed to be ground looping sound, but I don't really understand what's going on here.

Would someone care to explain?

Thanks in advance,
fawk3s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's 60 hertz hum. When you touch the case or USB port you're grounding yourself and the hum diminishes or goes away. When you touch the radiator the humming gets worse because the radiator is not grounded and it's acting like an antenna and picking up noise and conducting it to your body.

When you say "radiator" do you mean the old style steam radiators because I would have thought that those were grounded.

I don't want to discourage the field experimentors, but I recall a Colorado radio DJ that did essentially the same thing you did, but with the added complication of doing it in a spa tub.

He died.

So please be careful when researching electrical gizmos.

And, grounding problems are notorious for being hard to diagnose and treat.

Dr_Morbius said:
It's 60 hertz hum. When you touch the case or USB port you're grounding yourself and the hum diminishes or goes away. When you touch the radiator the humming gets worse because the radiator is not grounded and it's acting like an antenna and picking up noise and conducting it to your body.

When you say "radiator" do you mean the old style steam radiators because I would have thought that those were grounded.

No, I am talking about the http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/Radiator.png" , if you will. But I've always thought these were grounded, as in high school when the teacher was doing experiments with static, he always used the radiators for grounding, and these were practically the same I have in home.

But why would I need to ground myself in the first place?

Thanks in advance,
fawk3s

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get both electric and magnetic hum pickup. Grounding equipment - or yourself - can reduce electric pickup but ground currents can sometimes increase it. There are many tales of people cutting ground connections, one by one, and eventually getting rid of an annoying hum because it eliminated one particular 'ground loop'.
Experimenting can be useful - and dangerous, if you aren't careful. Touching with only one hand at a time is a good idea!

Related to Why does my microphone hum change when I touch different objects?

What is a ground loop on a microphone?

A ground loop on a microphone is a common audio issue that occurs when there are multiple paths for the electrical current to flow through. This creates a loop, which can cause unwanted noise or hum in the microphone signal.

How do I know if I have a ground loop on my microphone?

You can check for a ground loop by listening to the audio from your microphone and listening for any unwanted noise or hum. You may also notice that the noise increases when you touch the microphone or other connected devices.

What causes a ground loop on a microphone?

A ground loop on a microphone is usually caused by having multiple devices connected to the same electrical circuit or having different ground potentials. This can happen if your microphone is connected to a computer or other device that is plugged into a different outlet than the amplifier or speakers.

How can I fix a ground loop on my microphone?

There are a few ways to fix a ground loop on a microphone. You can try using a ground loop isolator, which is a device that breaks the loop by isolating the ground connection. You can also try using a different outlet or power source for your microphone or using balanced cables instead of unbalanced ones.

Can a ground loop damage my microphone?

In most cases, a ground loop will not cause any damage to your microphone. However, it can cause unwanted noise and affect the overall quality of your audio. It is important to address the ground loop to ensure the best performance from your microphone.