Why Does My Solution to the Radical Equation Differ from the Answer Key?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving a radical equation involving a square root and a negative number. The expert explains that while you can square a negative number to get a positive result, you cannot take the square root of a negative number in the real number system. However, in the complex number field, it is possible to take the square root of a negative number. The conversation also touches upon the concept of imaginary numbers and their applications in fields such as physics and electrical engineering.
Schaus

Homework Statement

(Square root)-12 -3x - 3 = 0
Everything underline is supposed to be under the square root sign.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(Square root3x +12)2 = (3)2
3x + 12 = 9
-12 -12
3x = -3
x = -1
Solution in this learning guide says the answer is -7. So I'm just wondering where I went wrong.
If anyone knows how to make a square root symbol, please let me know.

Likes Logical Dog
Physics news on Phys.org
Schaus said:

Homework Statement

(Square root)-12 -3x - 3 = 0
Everything underline is supposed to be under the square root sign.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(Square root3x +12)2 = (3)2
No. Your equation is ##\sqrt{-12 - 3x} = 3##
If you square the left side, you get -12 - 3x, not 12 + 3x.
Schaus said:
3x + 12 = 9
-12 -12
3x = -3
x = -1
Solution in this learning guide says the answer is -7. So I'm just wondering where I went wrong.
If anyone knows how to make a square root symbol, please let me know.
I get x = -7 as well.

Likes Schaus
BTW, I changed your thread title from "Solving Ration Equations" to "Solving Radical Equations."
Yours is not a rational equation, which would involve a quotient of two polynomials.

Likes Schaus
ftZ8rVm.png
:redface:

Likes Schaus
I thought you couldn't square a negative number?

there is no square root of a negative number, no even nth root of any negative number
Schaus said:
there are odd nth roots of negative numbers...

eg square root of -1 is not a real number, but cube root of -1 is -1.

Likes Schaus
So as long as there are undefined units then you can square it?

Sorry If I am confusing, all variables like X Y evaluate to a number, the squaring of a negative number is positive.

The square root or even nth root of a negative number is not defined in terms of a real number.

You can square a negative number to get a positive.

-1 *-1 = 1.

sQAURE ROOT =/= squaring.

Likes Schaus
Ohhh, duh. Sorry! I understand now.

Likes Logical Dog
Schaus said:

Of course you can square a negative number. That is why an equation like ##x^2 = 9## has two solutions: ##x = 3## and ##x = -3##. Both give 9 when you square them.

Perhaps you meant that you cannot take the square root of a negative number (in the real number system). But in the complex number field we can very nicely take the square root of a negative number, to get a so-called imaginary number. (It might surprise you to know that such things are used all the time by physicists and electrical engineers, among others.)

Related to Why Does My Solution to the Radical Equation Differ from the Answer Key?

What is a radical equation?

A radical equation is an equation that contains a variable inside a radical, such as a square root or cube root. These equations can be solved by isolating the radical term and raising both sides of the equation to a power that is the reciprocal of the radical's index.

What is the process for solving radical equations?

The process for solving radical equations involves isolating the radical term, raising both sides of the equation to a power that is the reciprocal of the radical's index, and then solving for the variable. It is important to check your solution to ensure it is valid, as some solutions may be extraneous.

Can a radical equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a radical equation can have multiple solutions. This is because when raising both sides of the equation to a power, you may introduce extraneous solutions. It is important to check your solutions and make sure they are valid for the original equation.

What are some common mistakes when solving radical equations?

Some common mistakes when solving radical equations include forgetting to check for extraneous solutions, not isolating the radical term before raising both sides of the equation to a power, and making calculation errors when simplifying the equation.

How can solving radical equations be applied in real-life situations?

Solving radical equations can be applied in real-life situations in fields such as physics and engineering, where equations involving square roots and other radicals are used to model real-world phenomena. It can also be used in finance and economics, where equations involving square roots can represent interest rates and growth rates. Understanding how to solve radical equations can also help with solving complex word problems in various subjects.