Why Does My Tap Water Turn Cloudy and Gritty After Running Clear?

• Thread starter Envergure
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strange
In summary: Seriously though, 16 years ago the situation was miserable with your hot water however... I had better showers in Tikal. :tongue2:
Envergure
(Maybe this is the wrong forum; Whatever, it's an unexplained phenomenon to me.)

They're always messing with the plumbing in my dorm. After the last time, the water started behaving strangely when they turned it back on.

When I run the water into a glass, it comes out clear. It then turns cloudy (with gas bubbles) over the course of about 30-60 seconds. The bubbles then float to the top.

The bubbles nucleate throughout the liquid, not on the glass walls. The water doesn't have an odd taste to it, but it does leave a sort of gritty sensation in my mouth, like there's some silt suspended in it.

The main questions are 1) How did the tapwater become silty and supersaturated with air?, and 2) Why does the gas wait to be poured to effervesce?

Physics news on Phys.org
Envergure said:
(Maybe this is the wrong forum; Whatever, it's an unexplained phenomenon to me.)

They're always messing with the plumbing in my dorm. After the last time, the water started behaving strangely when they turned it back on.

When I run the water into a glass, it comes out clear. It then turns cloudy (with gas bubbles) over the course of about 30-60 seconds. The bubbles then float to the top.

The bubbles nucleate throughout the liquid, not on the glass walls. The water doesn't have an odd taste to it, but it does leave a sort of gritty sensation in my mouth, like there's some silt suspended in it.

The main questions are 1) How did the tapwater become silty and supersaturated with air?, and 2) Why does the gas wait to be poured to effervesce?

This occurs when the water in a pressurized system is turned off, then on. You ARE In fact feeling sediment, and when you first turn on the tap it probably hisses or "blasts". There is air in the pipes, and the water mixes with it; the force breaks the large bubbles into miniscule ones, which makes the water appear cloudy until the air rises.

edit: A great example is a fire hydrant that is worked on a street; you'll see "brown" water (rust mostly).

I get this a lot with the hot water.

Cold will be crystal clear (ah the beauty of living in Wales) but the hot water will come out cloudy (air bubbles not dirt).

At first I was worried, but I've been to a number of places and they all get the same thing with the hot water.

jarednjames said:
I get this a lot with the hot water.

Cold will be crystal clear (ah the beauty of living in Wales) but the hot water will come out cloudy (air bubbles not dirt).

At first I was worried, but I've been to a number of places and they all get the same thing with the hot water.

Your hot water is probably pneumatically driven, rather than gravity/source-pressure for the cold?... After all you have to store and heat water, taking it out of the normal circuit.

nismaratwork said:
Your hot water is probably pneumatically driven, rather than gravity/source-pressure for the cold?... After all you have to store and heat water, taking it out of the normal circuit.

It's pump driven, but it's a Combi system which doesn't store the water. It heats it on demand straight from the mains.

Better because it gives you almost instant hot water, but worse because in a power / gas failure you have no tank of warm water.

jarednjames said:
It's pump driven, but it's a Combi system which doesn't store the water. It heats it on demand straight from the mains.

Better because it gives you almost instant hot water, but worse because in a power / gas failure you have no tank of warm water.

I'm familiar with your strange showers and weak pumps! :wink:

Actually, they're starting to become popular in the states now as well, which is good for all of the reasons you listed.

Seriously though, 16 years ago the situation was miserable with your hot water however... I had better showers in Tikal. :-p

This is perfectly normal, but doesn't look it. I've seen it happen with hot and cold water.

Related to Why Does My Tap Water Turn Cloudy and Gritty After Running Clear?

1. What could be causing the strange odor in my tapwater?

There are a few possible reasons for the strange odor in your tapwater. It could be due to a buildup of bacteria or algae in your pipes, or it could be caused by chemicals used in the water treatment process. It is also possible that your water source has been contaminated by environmental factors. It is best to contact your local water provider to investigate the issue.

2. Is the strange color in my tapwater harmful?

The strange color in your tapwater could be caused by a variety of factors such as rust, sediment, or algae. While it may not necessarily be harmful to your health, it is best to avoid drinking or using the water until the cause of the discoloration has been identified and addressed.

3. Why does my tapwater taste different lately?

There are a few possible reasons for a change in the taste of your tapwater. It could be due to a change in the water source, a buildup of minerals or chemicals in your pipes, or a contamination issue. It is important to contact your local water provider to investigate the issue and ensure the safety of your tapwater.

4. Can I still use my tapwater for cooking and bathing?

If you notice something strange in your tapwater, it is best to avoid using it for cooking or bathing until the issue has been resolved. While the water may not be harmful to your health, it is better to err on the side of caution and use bottled or filtered water for these purposes.

5. How can I test my tapwater for contaminants?

If you are concerned about the quality of your tapwater, you can contact your local water provider to request a water quality report. You can also purchase home water testing kits, but it is important to note that these may not detect all contaminants and it is best to have your water professionally tested if you suspect a serious issue.

Back