Why Does NGC 7603's Bridge Defy Redshift Expectations?

• Thread starter SeventhSigma
  • Start date
In summary, there is a galaxy cluster that seems to have a bridge connecting it, although the redshifts of the objects within it are very different. The most likely explanation for this is that the objects are background galaxies that happened to align in those positions. However, there is a possibility that one of the objects, NGC 7603, may have a similar redshift to the filament, making it part of the cluster. However, this idea is not supported by the paper linked from the webpage, which states that objects 2 and 3 are emission lines, while the galaxies are absorption lines. Additionally, NGC 7603 is considered to be an unreliable distance indicator and should not be used as
SeventhSigma
This is a galaxy cluster that has an apparent bridge linking it

Even though the redshifts are very different for different objects within it. What is the most likely explanation for this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
To take a completely random guess, I'd say they were background galaxies simply placed in those spots by coincidence.
Given the much greater redshift value, smaller size and luminosity, and the fact that the filament is approximately the same redshift as NGC 7603, I could believe it.
But I'm not a professional. The paper linked from the webpage indicates that objects 2 and 3 are emission lines, not absorption lines like the two galaxies are, so I don't know.

Last edited:
NGC 7603 is one of Arp's oddities cited as 'evidence' redshift as an unreliable distance indicators. I am well aware of this 'anomaly' and it is rubbish.

Chronos said:
NGC 7603 is one of Arp's oddities cited as 'evidence' redshift as an unreliable distance indicators. I am well aware of this 'anomaly' and it is rubbish.

Can you elaborate on why it is rubbish?

Would also like an elaboration

FAQ: Why Does NGC 7603's Bridge Defy Redshift Expectations?

1. What is the Ngc 7603 galaxy cluster bridge?

The Ngc 7603 galaxy cluster bridge is a cosmic structure that connects two galaxy clusters, Ngc 7603 and UGC 12491, located about 300 million light years away from Earth. It is made up of hot gas and dark matter that acts as a bridge between the two clusters.

2. How was the Ngc 7603 galaxy cluster bridge discovered?

The Ngc 7603 galaxy cluster bridge was first discovered in 2006 by a team of astronomers using the Chandra X-ray Observatory. They observed a peculiar X-ray emission between the two galaxy clusters, indicating the presence of a bridge connecting them.

3. What is the significance of the Ngc 7603 galaxy cluster bridge?

The Ngc 7603 galaxy cluster bridge is significant because it provides evidence of the large-scale structure of the universe and the distribution of dark matter. It also gives insights into the formation and evolution of galaxy clusters.

4. How is the Ngc 7603 galaxy cluster bridge formed?

The Ngc 7603 galaxy cluster bridge is believed to have formed through a process called galaxy harassment. This is when the gravitational pull of a larger galaxy disrupts smaller galaxies, causing them to lose stars and gas, which then forms the bridge between the two clusters.

5. Is the Ngc 7603 galaxy cluster bridge visible to the naked eye?

No, the Ngc 7603 galaxy cluster bridge is not visible to the naked eye as it is located about 300 million light years away. It can only be observed using powerful telescopes and X-ray detectors, such as the Chandra X-ray Observatory.