Why does orbital angular momentum have to be an integer?

• Thread starter dextercioby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reason
In summary, the conversation discusses the reason why the orbital angular momentum weight must be an integer and not a semi-integer. The primary reason is due to the single-valued irreducible unitary representations of the rotation symmetry group SO(3), which correspond to both single-valued and double-valued representations. This is because the orbital angular momentum is the self-adjoint generator of proper rotations, which are characterized by integer weights of angular momentum. Any flaws in this argument can be addressed by further discussion.
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
... for the fact that the orbital angular momentum weight is NOT a semi)integer positive number, but an integer.

Is there such a reason...? I've never seen it in some book. I know there are other reasons for which we conclude that "l" MUST be an integer, see Sakurai's thoughts attached.

However, orbital angular momentum is a type of angular momentum, the latter which, at quantum level, is the self-adjoint generator of the unitary group representations of the rotation symmetry group [itex] SO(3) [/itex].

So there has to be some group-theoretical reason for which "l" must be an integer and NOT a semi-integer, soe other that Sturm-Liouville theory of PDE-s, etc...(see Sakurai)

Daniel.

Attachments

• Sak1.pdf
    50.2 KB · Views: 189
  • Sak2.pdf
    17.8 KB · Views: 178
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's what my QM teacher had to say.

Single-valued irreducible unitary representations of SO(3) 's covering group (i.e. SU(2) ) correspond to both single-valued and double-valued representations of SO(3). This fact is well known, it's due to the covering homomorphism which is double valued. The idea is that single-valued irreps of SO(3) correspond to proper rotations to which the orbital angular momentum is the self-adjoint generator. Since single-valued irreps of SO(3) are characterized by integer weights of angular-momentum, it thus follows that the weights of orbital angular momentum are integer. End of story.

If one sees any flaws in the argumentation above, poke me in the eye..

Daniel.

"Since single-valued irreps of SO(3) are characterized by integer weights of angular-momentum"

Yea I think that's true (off the top of my head), once that's established the rest goes through trivially.

On giving it a second thought, this part is if not false, then at least suspicious:

"The idea is that single-valued irreps of SO(3) correspond to proper rotations to which the orbital angular momentum is the self-adjoint generator."

Daniel.

Last edited:

Related to Why does orbital angular momentum have to be an integer?

1. What is group theory and how is it used in science?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the structure and properties of groups, which are abstract mathematical objects that represent symmetries and transformations. In science, group theory is used to understand the symmetries and patterns in physical systems, such as molecules, crystals, and quantum states.

2. What is the significance of group theory in chemistry?

Group theory is essential in chemistry as it helps predict and explain the properties and behaviors of molecules. By analyzing the symmetries of molecules using group theory, we can determine their electronic and vibrational spectra, reactivity, and stability.

3. How does group theory relate to crystallography?

In crystallography, group theory is used to classify the symmetries of crystals and determine their possible arrangements. This is crucial in understanding the physical and chemical properties of materials, such as their optical, electrical, and magnetic properties.

4. Can group theory be applied in other fields of science?

Yes, group theory has applications in various fields of science, including physics, biology, and computer science. It is used to study the symmetries and patterns in physical systems, biological structures, and algorithms.

5. How can group theory be used to solve problems in science?

Group theory provides a powerful framework for analyzing complex systems and predicting their properties. By identifying the symmetries and transformations in a system, researchers can simplify the problem and use group-theoretical methods to find solutions and make predictions.