Why Does Persistent HTTP Have an Extra RTT?

In summary, the total time for DNS to supply the client with IP, the initial handshake, and the client receiving all messages is calculated by adding the RTT for the DNS servers and the base HTML file, and multiplying the RTT for the base HTML file by 2. This is because the client must first request the base HTML file before it can request the objects contained within it, resulting in two different RTTs.
perplexabot
Gold Member
Hello all. I am trying to understand number 2c of this pdf:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nyu.edu%2Fclasses%2Fjcf%2FCSCI-GA.2262-001_fa12%2Fhandouts%2FHomework2Solutions.pdf&ei=DX1sUurmCeOYiQKnwYFg&usg=AFQjCNElBG4mGrEvpyPHCu4HeWcWQYGxSA&sig2=0D9G34-MeX0IDDOVNdZWhQ&bvm=bv.55123115,d.cGE.

I have tried solving it on my own but I got the wrong answer. I am starting to get irritated.

How I solved the problem:
Time for DNS to supply client with IP: RTT1 + ... + RTTn
Time for client to have initial handshake: RTT0
Time for client to receive all message: RTT0

Total time = RTT1 + ... + RTTn + RTT0 + RTT0 = RTT1 + ... + RTTn + (2 * RTT0)

According to the answer I am missing a RTT0. I have no idea where that extra RTT0 comes from. May someone please help me out?

Technology news on Phys.org
I think I realize why now. Is it because, first you have to request the base HTML file, and it is until this file is received at the client that the client can go on and ask about the objects contained in that HTML file? Hence, two different RTTs will occur.

Can someone confirm this?

perplexabot said:
I think I realize why now. Is it because, first you have to request the base HTML file, and it is until this file is received at the client that the client can go on and ask about the objects contained in that HTML file? Hence, two different RTTs will occur.

Can someone confirm this?

Seems right to me.

Related to Why Does Persistent HTTP Have an Extra RTT?

1. What is time delay for Persistent HTTP?

The time delay for Persistent HTTP is the amount of time it takes for a server to respond to a request from a client. It is also known as latency or round trip time.

2. Why is time delay for Persistent HTTP important?

Time delay for Persistent HTTP is important because it affects the overall performance of a website or web application. A longer delay can lead to slower loading times and a poorer user experience.

3. How is time delay for Persistent HTTP measured?

Time delay for Persistent HTTP is measured by sending a request from a client to a server and recording the time it takes for the server to send a response back to the client.

4. What are some factors that can affect time delay for Persistent HTTP?

Some factors that can affect time delay for Persistent HTTP include network congestion, server load, and the distance between the client and server.

5. How can time delay for Persistent HTTP be minimized?

Time delay for Persistent HTTP can be minimized by using techniques such as caching, content delivery networks, and optimizing server and network configurations.