Why Does Planetary Energy Increase in My ODE Simulation?

In summary, the conversation discusses using an ODEsolver in Java to plot the total energy over time of a planetary system and calculating the rate of energy (per unit mass). The equation for total energy (per unit mass) is given, as well as the equation for the rate of energy. However, there is a problem with the plotted energy increasing instead of remaining constant, and the conversation concludes with the realization that the rate of energy is actually 0 due to energy conservation, and a need to figure out how to plot E without using the ODEsolver.
jmtome2

Homework Statement

OK so here goes.

I'm using an ODEsolver in java to plot the total energy over time of a planetary system. So I've been trying to calculate the rate of energy (per unit mass), [tex]\frac{E}{m}[/tex].

Homework Equations

The equation for total energy (per unit mass) of a planetary system is:
[tex]\frac{E}{m}=1/2\cdot v^2-\frac{G\cdot M}{r}[/tex]

G is the gravitational constant
M is the mass of the sun (constant)
v is the velocity of the planet, [tex]v^2=v^{2}_{x}+v^{2}_{y}[/tex]
r is the distance of the planet from the sun, [tex]r^2=x^{2}+y^{2}[/tex]

Essentially I need help finding [tex]\frac{dE}{dt}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer I got for the rate is:

[tex]\frac{dE}{dt}=v\cdot\left(a+\frac{G\cdot M}{r}\right)[/tex]

where a is the acceleration of the planet, [tex]a^2=a^{2}_{x}+a^{2}_{y}[/tex]

The problem is that everytime I throw this equation into the ODEsolver, I get a plot of ever-increasing energy as time goes on which I know is not correct.

Help anybody?

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't dE/dt = 0 because energy is conserved? Am I missing something here?

YES! Of course it is... what was I thinking. But this creates a whole problem... I've got to figure out how to plot E now inside the program without using the ODEsolver, which hasn't been mentioned in the book yet. *sigh*

Thanks for clarifying :)

Related to Why Does Planetary Energy Increase in My ODE Simulation?

1. What is the energy of planetary motion?

The energy of planetary motion is the total energy possessed by a planet as it moves in its orbit around a star. This energy is a combination of kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion, and potential energy, which is the energy stored in the planet's position in its orbit.

2. How is the energy of planetary motion related to the laws of motion?

The energy of planetary motion is related to the laws of motion through the principle of conservation of energy. This means that the total energy of a planet remains constant as it moves in its orbit, and can only be transferred between kinetic and potential energy.

3. How does the distance between a planet and its star affect the energy of planetary motion?

The distance between a planet and its star does not directly affect the energy of planetary motion. However, the potential energy of the planet increases as it moves further away from the star, while the kinetic energy decreases. This results in a constant total energy for the planet.

4. Can the energy of planetary motion be calculated?

Yes, the energy of planetary motion can be calculated using the equations for kinetic and potential energy, as well as the universal law of gravitation. However, this calculation can become complex when considering the gravitational interactions of multiple planets in a system.

5. How does the energy of planetary motion impact the motion of other celestial bodies?

The energy of planetary motion does not directly impact the motion of other celestial bodies. However, the gravitational pull of planets does affect the orbits of other objects in the same system, and this is influenced by the energy of planetary motion.