Why does plastic container slides off at the same speed?

In summary, when two small cylindrical containers with flat bottoms are placed on a turntable with a smooth flat surface and the same distance from the center, the coefficient of static friction between the containers and the turntable will determine when the containers slide off. According to the equations, when the speed of the turntable is gradually increased, both containers will slide off at the same turntable speed. This is because the mass does not affect the centripetal force, which is necessary for the containers to stay on the turntable.
gijungkim

Homework Statement

Two small cylindrical plastic containers with flat bottoms are placed on a turntable that has a smooth flat surface. Canister A is empty; canister B contains lead shot. Each canister is the same distance r from the center. The coefficient of static friction between the canisters and the turntable is Us . When the speed of the turntable is gradually increased,

a. only the lighter container slides outward off the turntable; the heavier one stays on.

b. only the heavier container slides outward off the turntable; the lighter one stays on.

c. both containers slide off the turntable at the same turntable speed.

d. the lighter container slides inward.

e. the heavier container slides inward.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is c, but I don't understand why. Can anyone explain it with equations??

Physics news on Phys.org
gijungkim said:

Homework Statement

Two small cylindrical plastic containers with flat bottoms are placed on a turntable that has a smooth flat surface. Canister A is empty; canister B contains lead shot. Each canister is the same distance r from the center. The coefficient of static friction between the canisters and the turntable is Us . When the speed of the turntable is gradually increased,

a. only the lighter container slides outward off the turntable; the heavier one stays on.

b. only the heavier container slides outward off the turntable; the lighter one stays on.

c. both containers slide off the turntable at the same turntable speed.

d. the lighter container slides inward.

e. the heavier container slides inward.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is c, but I don't understand why. Can anyone explain it with equations??
Initially, the two containers follow the turntable, correct?

That means that they are undergoing circular motion, which is an acceleration, correct?

The only way that this can happen is if there is a centripetal force pushing in.

What is the force for the two canisters? F= ma. a = v^2/r

The cans fall off when the frictional force becomes less than the centripetal force.

Write two equations for the two cans, and see how the two velocities compare to each other.

Quantum Defect said:
Initially, the two containers follow the turntable, correct?

That means that they are undergoing circular motion, which is an acceleration, correct?

The only way that this can happen is if there is a centripetal force pushing in.

What is the force for the two canisters? F= ma. a = v^2/r

The cans fall off when the frictional force becomes less than the centripetal force.

Write two equations for the two cans, and see how the two velocities compare to each other.
so Us*Fn < mv^2 / r this is when the container slides off right? And if I simplify this equation, I get Us * g = v^2 / r. Since there is no m in this equation, mass doesn't matter right? I don't know if I did it right or not haha

gijungkim said:
so Us*Fn < mv^2 / r this is when the container slides off right? And if I simplify this equation, I get Us * g = v^2 / r. Since there is no m in this equation, mass doesn't matter right? I don't know if I did it right or not haha

Sure it's right. The mass doesn't matter. The 'centripetal force' is proportional to mass and so is the normal force.

Dick said:
Sure it's right. The mass doesn't matter. The 'centripetal force' is proportional to mass and so is the normal force.
Thank you! :)

Related to Why does plastic container slides off at the same speed?

1. Why do plastic containers slide off at the same speed?

Plastic containers slide off at the same speed because of the coefficient of friction. This is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces and it is influenced by the type of material, surface texture, and weight of the objects.

2. Is the type of plastic container a factor in its sliding speed?

Yes, the type of plastic container can affect its sliding speed. Different types of plastic have different coefficients of friction, so they will slide at different speeds on the same surface.

3. Does the surface of the container or the surface it is sliding on affect its speed?

Both the surface of the container and the surface it is sliding on can affect its speed. Rougher surfaces will have a higher coefficient of friction, resulting in a slower sliding speed, while smoother surfaces will have a lower coefficient of friction and a faster sliding speed.

4. How does the weight of the container affect its sliding speed?

The weight of the container can affect its sliding speed, as a heavier container will have a greater force of gravity pulling it down, increasing its speed. However, the weight alone is not the only factor, as the type of plastic and surface it is sliding on also play a role.

5. Are there any other factors that can influence the sliding speed of plastic containers?

Yes, there are other factors that can influence the sliding speed of plastic containers, such as the angle of the surface they are sliding on, the presence of any lubricants or oils, and the temperature of the surfaces. These factors can all affect the coefficient of friction and therefore impact the sliding speed.