Why does QED work so well? - a question on EFTs

• Thread starter metroplex021
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qed Work
In summary, the conversation discusses the accuracy of QED calculations and the energy range in which QED is theoretically valid. The magnetic moment of the electron is calculated to be accurate up to 12 decimal places, suggesting that QED is valid all the way to the TeV scale. However, it is known that QED must break down at the electroweak unification scale of 100 GeV. The conversation also discusses the g-2 experiment of the muon as an example of using precision data to calculate constraints for new particles. Finally, the conversation delves into the numerical coefficients of the series expansion in QED, which contribute to the accuracy of calculations and are not necessarily small.
metroplex021
Hi folks: I have a question about effective field theories.

The magnetic moment of the electron calculated in renormalized QED gets it right to 12 decimal places. That suggests that QED gets things right all the way down to the order of 10^-12eV - that is, all the way to the TeV scale. But surely QED must break down at around the 100GeV mark - the scale of electroweak unification.

I'm therefore confused about how it can get the magnetic moment right to all 12 places given that the theory must change so profoundly at a lower energy. Can anyone tell me where I've gone wrong? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a hint : you say 10^12 eV. Why not 10^12 J ?

Hmmm... well, if we did that, wouldn't we just have to translate the part of the question concerning the weak interactions into 10^11J... and then we'd still be left with the same problem?! (I suspect I'm not smart enough for your hint!)

You talk about accuracy of QED and about the energy range were QED is valid. These are two different questions. Accuracy of QED calculations, e.g. for atomic spectra in the eV range, has nothing to do with the application of QED in the TeV range.

that is WHY one wants to do these measurments, to get information about the physics above current accessible experimental energy limits, i.e. how much the "new heavy" particles contribute to the observables at lower energy.

the g-2 experiment of the muon is a famous example.

So what one does it to calculate observable in the SM, make a fine precision data and compare. Then one includes his/her own favourite model beyond the standard model, or just simply the SM higgs boson, and start to calculate constraints for the mass and couplings of such new particles, in order for the experimental value to be statically accessible from your model calculation.

tom.stoer said:
You talk about accuracy of QED and about the energy range were QED is valid. These are two different questions. Accuracy of QED calculations, e.g. for atomic spectra in the eV range, has nothing to do with the application of QED in the TeV range.

Sure, but it just surprises me that in this case the accuracy of QED is apparently greater than the energy range in which it is theoretically valid. It's not surprising that a high-energy theory like QED gets right calculations in the eV atomic domain. But it seems much stranger that its numerical accuracy goes into a range that outstrips the energies in which it is applicable (to me anyway!)

First, the magnetic moment of the muon is not expressed in eV but in eV per T. My un-explicit "hint" was to check its value : it happens to be around a millionth of eV per T. So there are two reasons why starting with ~ 1 eV is not justified.

Second, we cannot just say that a measurement with 10 digits is sensitive to physics at energies 10 times higher, even if the units where right. When folding in loop corrections, where the mass scale will appear, there is a coupling constant which for QED is of the order of a hundredth (1/137). This will suppress loop corrections. Numerically for instance QED corrections give
[tex]\frac{g-2}{2}=0.5\frac{\alpha}{\pi}-0.32848\left(\frac{\alpha}{\pi}\right)^2+1.18\left(\frac{\alpha}{\pi}\right)^3+\cdots[/tex]
The numerical coefficients of the series expansion are where the various mass-scales of various physics contributions occur. They themselves are not necessarily small.

Precise mass-dependent QED contributions to leptonic g-2 at order alpha^2 and alpha^3
muon and tau magnetic moments: a theoretical update
[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much - that is helpful of you and kind.

humanino said:
First, the magnetic moment of the muon is not expressed in eV but in eV per T. My un-explicit "hint" was to check its value : it happens to be around a millionth of eV per T. So there are two reasons why starting with ~ 1 eV is not justified.

Second, we cannot just say that a measurement with 10 digits is sensitive to physics at energies 10 times higher, even if the units where right. When folding in loop corrections, where the mass scale will appear, there is a coupling constant which for QED is of the order of a hundredth (1/137). This will suppress loop corrections. Numerically for instance QED corrections give
[tex]\frac{g-2}{2}=0.5\frac{\alpha}{\pi}-0.32848\left(\frac{\alpha}{\pi}\right)^2+1.18\left(\frac{\alpha}{\pi}\right)^3+\cdots[/tex]
The numerical coefficients of the series expansion are where the various mass-scales of various physics contributions occur. They themselves are not necessarily small.

Precise mass-dependent QED contributions to leptonic g-2 at order alpha^2 and alpha^3
muon and tau magnetic moments: a theoretical update
[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Why does QED work so well? - a question on EFTs

1. What is QED and EFTs?

QED stands for Quantum Electrodynamics, which is a theory that explains the behavior of electromagnetism at the quantum level. EFTs, or Effective Field Theories, are mathematical frameworks used to describe how particles interact with each other.

2. Why is QED considered to work so well?

QED is considered to work well because it has been extensively tested and its predictions have been found to be in excellent agreement with experimental results. It also has a solid theoretical foundation and has successfully explained various phenomena, such as the behavior of light and matter.

3. What makes EFTs useful in understanding QED?

EFTs are useful in understanding QED because they allow for a systematic approach to calculating the interactions between particles at different energy scales. This allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of QED, especially in situations where high energies are involved.

4. How does QED work within the framework of EFTs?

QED works within the framework of EFTs by using a combination of perturbation theory and renormalization techniques. Perturbation theory breaks down complex interactions into simpler ones, while renormalization removes infinities that arise in the calculations. Together, they allow for a more accurate and reliable description of QED.

5. Are there any limitations to the effectiveness of QED and EFTs?

While QED and EFTs have been highly successful in predicting and explaining various phenomena, there are still limitations to their effectiveness. For example, they do not take into account the effects of gravity and do not fully explain certain phenomena, such as the behavior of dark matter. Additionally, they may break down at extremely high energy scales, requiring the development of new theories.

Back