Why Does Spray Deodorant Feel Cold When Applied?

• Thread starter Sweeney
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cold
In summary: I don't know, I'm not a scientist. In summary, the error in this logic could be that this only applies to ideal gases. If so, what property of the deodorant makes it act like this?The gas goes through the nozzle of the can so fast that it does not have time to exchange heat with anything. Evaporation absorbs heat from (that is, cools) the surroundings fairly quickly.
Sweeney
Recently I was wondering why deodorant is cold when its comes out of the spray can. Some explanations say that it is because of a change in pressure. But looking at the ideal gas law T = PV/nR and both n and R are constant. And for every decrease in pressure there should be an increase in volume (Boyle's law:PV=constant). Therefore T should be constant.

The error in this logic could be that this only applies to ideal gases. If so, what property of the deodorant makes it act like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sweeney said:
Recently I was wondering why deodorant is cold when its comes out of the spray can. Some explanations say that it is because of a change in pressure. But looking at the ideal gas law T = PV/nR and both n and R are constant. And for every decrease in pressure there should be an increase in volume (Boyle's law:PV=constant). Therefore T should be constant.

The error in this logic could be that this only applies to ideal gases. If so, what property of the deodorant makes it act like this?

It will depend on the specific formulation, but chances are that the stuff is a liquid while it's the in the can (shake a half-empty can - does it slosh?) under pressure, evaporates when it's released. Evaporation absorbs heat from (that is, cools) the surroundings fairly quickly.

And of course the gas laws, whether ideal or not, don't apply to liquids or the liquid->vapor transition.

Last edited:
Sweeney said:

Boyle's law doesn't apply here. Boyle's law ASSUMES that T is constant, so it cannot be used to show that T is constant. In fact, in order to keep T constant you generally have to have the gas exchange heat with some reservoir.

The gas goes through the nozzle of the can so fast that it does not have time to exchange heat with anything. So the proper way to think of this is as an adiabatic expansion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiabatic_process). In an adiabatic expansion there is no heat exchange.

Since the volume is increasing and since the pressure is non-zero that means that ΔPV is positive, which in turn means that the gas is doing work on the surroundings. The energy to do that work comes from the thermal energy of the gas, so the thermal energy of the gas decreases and therefore its temperature decreases.

Likes 1 person
DaleSpam said:
Since the volume is increasing and since the pressure is non-zero that means that ΔPV is positive, which in turn means that the gas is doing work on the surroundings. The energy to do that work comes from the thermal energy of the gas, so the thermal energy of the gas decreases and therefore its temperature decreases.
I'm curious if I'm getting the following right:
The gas escapes by the nozzle due to a difference of pressure (P being higher inside the bottle than outside). When the gas expands into the air, it is not a free expansion (because in a free expansion there's no air and the expansion costs no work and hence the temperature of the gas remains the same). The work that the gas does on the surroundings is basically done by pushing against the air molecules. The energy of the gas lost by doing so translates as a decrease in temperature. Is that correct?
So it's exactly the same as the case if I'm blowing air from my mouth?

Perhaps the same way a refrigerant works in a fridge

fluidistic said:
When the gas expands into the air, it is not a free expansion (because in a free expansion there's no air and the expansion costs no work and hence the temperature of the gas remains the same).
That is a good question. I don't know about expansion into a vacuum.

I would go with the evaporation ( Nugatory ) from the skin of the carrier fluid.

256bits said:
I would go with the evaporation ( Nugatory ) from the skin of the carrier fluid.
Ditto. Back in the day, they used to use CFC's as the propellant fluid, but now-a-days, I don't know. During the time that the CFC/0zone issue was prominent in the media, there was a book out called the Spray Can Wars. People who used spray can deodorants were considered environmentally irresponsible.

Chet

One aspect not mentioned yet is that at the initial moment of spray, the temperature of the can has not yet decreased, and that the sprayed output isn't cooler until the temperature within the can has decreased due to expansion of gas and/or conversion of liquid to gas over a period of time.

The other part of this is that the spray itself could be getting cooled due to evaporation and/or reduction in pressure of the tiny droplets of the spray as it travels out the nozzle and through the air.

According to wikipedia:
Wiki The Great said:
Adiabatic expansion causes the gas (with a low boiling temperature) to rapidly cool on exit from the aerosol applier. According to controlled laboratory experiments, the gas from a typical deodorant spray can drop up to sixty degrees Celsius.[2]
Here's a small study of coldburns: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/126/3/e716.full.pdf+html, in which one can read
study said:
According to Amonton’s law,the pressure (P) of a gas is proportional to the absolute temperature (T) for a fixed quantity of gas in a fixed volume:
P1/T1=P2/T2. Therefore, a decline in the pressure of a gas (eg, by spraying the content of an aerosol can) results in a decline of temperature.
Cooling effects may also arise from the low boiling points of propellants (eg, 42.2°C for propane, 11.7°C for isobutane, and 0.6°C for butane).

Stop worrying yourself to death. Switch to a roll-on deodorant.

FAQ: Why Does Spray Deodorant Feel Cold When Applied?

1. Why does deodorant feel cold when applied?

Deodorant contains ingredients such as alcohol and menthol that have a cooling effect on the skin. When applied, these ingredients evaporate quickly, causing a cooling sensation on the skin.

2. Does the temperature of the deodorant affect its cooling sensation?

Yes, the temperature of the deodorant can affect its cooling sensation. If the deodorant is stored in a cool place, it may feel colder when applied compared to one that has been stored in a warmer environment.

3. Is the cooling sensation of deodorant beneficial?

The cooling sensation of deodorant can provide a refreshing feeling, especially on a hot day. However, it does not have any significant benefits for the body other than providing a temporary cooling sensation.

4. Can the cooling sensation of deodorant cause any harm to the skin?

In most cases, the cooling sensation of deodorant is harmless to the skin. However, if you have sensitive skin or have recently shaved, the alcohol and other ingredients in deodorant may cause some irritation or stinging sensation.

5. Why do some deodorants feel colder than others?

The amount and type of ingredients in deodorant can vary, which can affect the intensity of the cooling sensation. Deodorants with higher concentrations of alcohol or menthol may feel colder when applied compared to those with lower concentrations.

Back