Why Does Swiping a Card in a Plastic Bag Help It Read at the Checkout?

In summary, plastic bags or other materials added to the card while swiping it at Walmart may act as a "head cleaner" and remove any accumulated dirt or debris from the card reader's magnetic heads, allowing for successful reading of the card. This explanation is supported by the fact that subsequent swipes by other customers do not have any issues after the initial swipe with the added material. It is also possible that this same concept could apply to the experience with the sun rising.
cragar
Sometimes when i swipe my card at walmart it doesn't read it , And the guy was like let's put it a plastic bag and then try it, and it works and I've heard a couple of other people doing this.
So when i slide my card the magnetic strip induces a voltage and reads the card. So why does putting it in a plastic bag work. Does this change the relative permittivity of the material.
Does the bag just add more di-electric material so the magnetic field interacts with the detector in the card reader like it should and not too strongly.
Any input will be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is one of those things that I would have considered an "urban myth" if I had not experienced it myself. The cashier's explanation makes more sense than most that I've heard (and not just because she's a friend of mine). The readers collect crud from dirty cards when they're swiped. When enough has accumulated, it interferes with the reading process. The plastic (or cellophane tape, or whatever) added to the card acts as a "head cleaner" like you use in a VCR or DVD player. It scrapes the crap off of the heads prior to the mag stripe passing, and so allows reading. Further evidence of that is that once it has been done, subsequent purchasers don't have a problem.
As a side-note to that, my card would never work at the ATM terminal in one of my local gas stations. The cashier there said that it hardly ever worked, because it was constantly contaminated with petroleum fumes.

i see thanks for the response .

Different analogy:

At 5:00AM I did a dance to make the sun rise. It didn't work. I sat down, and scratched my head and then tried it again at 6:30AM while wearing a headband, and, lo and behold, the sun rose. I therefore conclude that I was right to don a headband, and headbands make the sun rise. The popular use of headbands throughout the world prove my thesis.

Stated differently: the change you deliberately made is not necessarily the complete sum of changes made, therefore you can't assume the bag worked. The fact you can't think of a means by which it could work is probably indicative.

MagnetDave said:
The fact you can't think of a means by which it could work is probably indicative.

Have you been paying attention? I just outlined a very plausible means by which it could work. I don't know for sure that it's the correct answer, but certainly consider it possible.

Related to Why Does Swiping a Card in a Plastic Bag Help It Read at the Checkout?

1. What is "swiping my card, induced emf"?

"Swiping my card, induced emf" refers to the process of sliding a magnetic stripe credit card through a card reader, which creates a magnetic field and induces an electromotive force (emf) in the card's magnetic strip.

2. How does "swiping my card, induced emf" work?

When the card is swiped, the magnetic strip moves past a magnetic reader head, which contains a coil of wire. This movement creates a changing magnetic field, which in turn induces an emf in the coil of wire. This emf is then amplified and converted into a digital signal that is used to verify the card's information and complete the transaction.

3. What is the purpose of "swiping my card, induced emf"?

The purpose of "swiping my card, induced emf" is to provide a secure and efficient way to make purchases using a credit or debit card. The emf induced in the card's magnetic strip contains encrypted information that is used to verify the card's authenticity and authorize the transaction.

4. Is "swiping my card, induced emf" safe?

Yes, "swiping my card, induced emf" is generally considered safe. The encrypted information on the magnetic strip of the card makes it difficult for fraudsters to duplicate or forge credit cards. However, it is important to always keep your card secure and report any suspicious activity to your bank.

5. Are there any drawbacks to "swiping my card, induced emf"?

One potential drawback of "swiping my card, induced emf" is that magnetic stripe cards are more prone to wear and tear, which can lead to issues with reading the card. Additionally, the magnetic stripe technology is becoming outdated and is being replaced by more secure methods such as chip and PIN or contactless payments.