Why Does the Calculator Show an Error When Solving for the Angle of Incidence?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the angle of incidence of a light beam that exits the water at an angle of 68° to the vertical. It involves using Snell's Law and the index of refraction of water (n=1.33) to find the angle of incidence at the air-water interface. The correct equation is n_1\sin{(\theta_1)} = n_2\sin{(\theta_2)} and the resulting angle of incidence is 51.2°.
mustang1988
b]1. A light beam coming from an underwater spotlight exits the water at an angle of 68° to the vertical. At what angle of incidence did it hit the air-water interface from below the surface?

2. snell's law n1sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]1=n2sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]2

3. sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]1=1.33(sin68)
After doing this I took the inverse sin of it and it comes up as error on my calculator. I know it should be an easy question but I don't know where I am messing up.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you've got the equation set up wrong. It should read:

[tex]n_1\sin{(\theta_1)} = n_2\sin{(\theta_2)}[/tex]

Where [itex]n_1 = 1.33[/itex], [itex]n_2 = 1[/itex], and [itex]\theta_2 = 68[/itex].

I knew it would be something dumb, thanks for your help.

FAQ: Why Does the Calculator Show an Error When Solving for the Angle of Incidence?

1. What is the angle of incidence?

The angle of incidence refers to the angle at which a ray of light or other electromagnetic radiation strikes a surface or interface. It is measured between the incident ray and the normal (perpendicular line) to the surface.

2. How is the angle of incidence calculated?

The angle of incidence can be calculated using the formula: angle of incidence = arc tangent (height of incident ray/ distance from incident point to the point of intersection with the surface).

3. What is the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of reflection?

According to the law of reflection, the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. This means that when a ray of light strikes a surface, the angle at which it reflects off the surface is equal to the angle at which it hit the surface.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect the amount of light reflected?

The angle of incidence affects the amount of light reflected by a surface. When the angle of incidence is small, more light is reflected. As the angle of incidence increases, less light is reflected and more is absorbed by the surface.

5. Why is the angle of incidence important?

The angle of incidence is important because it determines the amount of light that is reflected, absorbed, or transmitted by a surface. It also plays a crucial role in the study of optics, as it influences the behavior of light when it interacts with different materials and surfaces.