Why Does the Central Carbon Have a Positive Charge?

• Thread starter alingy1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structure
In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding resonance structures for a carbon in the middle of a molecule with a positive charge, known as a carbocation. These structures are unstable but can aid in understanding reactions. The speaker suggests drawing multiple resonance structures, with the most stable ones being the first one posted and two more. The other person is advised to double check their drawings for accuracy.
alingy1
I was looking at this problem. It says I should write appropriate resonance structures. But, even with resonance, I do not see how a carbon cannot fill its octet. Why does the carbon in the middle have a positive charge. Is that not unstable?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-28 at 11.12.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-28 at 11.12.30 AM.png
    1,018 bytes · Views: 431
Physics news on Phys.org
See: Allylic Carbocation.

In your case it is "doubly allylic" so you should have several resonance structures available. Can you draw them now?

I could find three! If you could confirm me the number that would be great! If they are wrong, I am fully ready to draw them out fully.

Well, you could technically draw many more resonance structure than simply three. It doesn't mean that all of them will be contributors to the true nature of the actual molecule though. I guess for the typical O-chem question where there it is implied that the most stable resonance structures should be drawn, then the answer is the first structure you posted and two more. So three total. You can post a picture for us to double check that you are doing it properly.

FAQ: Why Does the Central Carbon Have a Positive Charge?

1. How does this structure exist?

This is a common question when observing a complex or unusual structure. The answer depends on the specific structure in question, but it is typically due to a combination of natural processes, human intervention, and physical laws.

2. What materials were used to create this structure?

Knowing the materials used in a structure can help us understand its purpose, functionality, and durability. In most cases, the materials will vary depending on the type of structure and its intended use.

3. What forces keep this structure standing?

Structures are designed to withstand various forces such as gravity, wind, and seismic activity. Engineers and architects carefully consider these forces when designing a structure to ensure its stability and safety.

4. How long did it take to construct this structure?

The time it takes to construct a structure varies greatly depending on its size, complexity, and available resources. For example, a small house may take a few months to build, while a skyscraper could take several years.

5. What purpose does this structure serve?

Understanding the purpose of a structure can provide insight into its design and construction. Some structures are built for practical reasons such as shelter or transportation, while others serve a symbolic or artistic purpose.