Why does the entropy increase in free expansion of an ideal gas?

In summary, the formula for entropy change in an irreversible process is incorrect and the correct formula is ΔS = ∫(dQrev/T). The gas in free expansion does not go through a series of equilibrium states, and therefore the formula is not applicable in this case. The article provided in the Physics Forums Insights discusses how to determine entropy change in an irreversible process, and it is important to consider the integrating factor T when measuring temperature at different points in the mass of gas.
Mayan Fung
I learned that
$$ dS = \frac Q T$$
In free expansion of Ideal gas, it is obvious that Q = 0. However, the entropy increases. I guess the reason is that it is because the process is not quasistatic. If I am right, why is this process not quasistatic. If I am not, what's wrong with the formula above. Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
In free expansion the system does not pass through a series of equilibrium states. The P, T and S do not have the same value throughout the extent of the system at every instant. It starts with equilibrium state ends in equilibrium state but in between we are not sure rather we are sure it is not in equilibrium.

Chan Pok Fung said:
I learned that
$$ dS = \frac Q T$$
In free expansion of Ideal gas, it is obvious that Q = 0. However, the entropy increases. I guess the reason is that it is because the process is not quasistatic. If I am right, why is this process not quasistatic. If I am not, what's wrong with the formula above. Thanks!
The equation you wrote is incorrect. If you learned it that way, then you were taught incorrectly. The correct formula is $$\Delta S=\int{\frac{dQ_{rev}}{T}}$$
What do you think the subscript "rev" stands for?

Here is a reference to my recent Physics Forums Insights article the provides a cookbook recipe for determining the entropy change in an irreversible process: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/grandpa-chets-entropy-recipe/
See in particular Example 3

Here is another article on entropy and the second law that should help with your understanding: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/understanding-entropy-2nd-law-thermodynamics/

Thanks all for your comments
I am not sure if I am correct. Q may not always be full differential, so I guess we can't always write dQ?

Chan Pok Fung said:
Thanks all for your comments
I am not sure if I am correct. Q may not always be full differential, so I guess we can't always write dQ?
As I said, your exact problem is solved in Example 3.

But gas is pushing nothing, isn't that the work done = 0?

Who said that the work done is not zero? Did you read what I wrote?

dq is not perfect differential but [dS =(dq/T)] is perfect differential and T is called integrating factor. One may argue that for infinitesimal dq T can be considered as constant but for the process under consideration at any instant during the process if you were to measure T at different points in the mass of gas you will not get the same value which will convince you that the mass of gas does not have definite value of temperature hence the gas is not in equilibrium at any instant during the process. So formula is not applicable.

Likes Mayan Fung
Let'sthink said:
dq is not perfect differential but [dS =(dq/T)] is perfect differential and T is called integrating factor. One may argue that for infinitesimal dq T can be considered as constant but for the process under consideration at any instant during the process if you were to measure T at different points in the mass of gas you will not get the same value which will convince you that the mass of gas does not have definite value of temperature hence the gas is not in equilibrium at any instant during the process. So formula is not applicable.

Thanks for your explanation!

FAQ: Why does the entropy increase in free expansion of an ideal gas?

1. What is entropy of free expansion?

Entropy of free expansion is a thermodynamic property that describes the disorder or randomness of a system. It is a measure of the number of possible arrangements of particles in a system. In free expansion, the system is allowed to expand without any external work being done on it.

2. How is entropy of free expansion calculated?

The entropy of free expansion can be calculated using the formula ΔS = nRln(Vf/Vi), where ΔS is the change in entropy, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, Vf is the final volume, and Vi is the initial volume. This equation is based on the second law of thermodynamics and can be applied to ideal gases.

3. What is the significance of entropy of free expansion?

The significance of entropy of free expansion lies in its connection to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. In the case of free expansion, the entropy of the system increases because the particles are allowed to spread out and occupy a larger volume, leading to a higher degree of disorder or randomness.

4. How does entropy of free expansion relate to real-world processes?

Entropy of free expansion is a theoretical concept that can be observed in real-world processes, such as gas expanding in a vacuum or a gas escaping from a container. These processes can be described using the same principles as free expansion, and the increase in entropy can be calculated using the same formula.

5. Can entropy of free expansion be reversed?

In theory, the entropy of free expansion can be reversed by compressing the gas back to its initial volume. However, the second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system can never decrease, so the process of free expansion cannot be fully reversed.

Back