Why Does the Expanding Universe Cause Red Shift?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the universe expanding and the red shift phenomenon. It is explained that the expansion of space itself, rather than objects moving in that space, is responsible for the red shift. The existence of dark energy is also mentioned as a factor in the acceleration of this expansion. The conversation also addresses the question of what is causing this acceleration and the potential for new theories to be discovered through further telescopic studies. Finally, the idea of a super-massive black hole at the center of the universe is brought up as a potential explanation for the red shift.
ChrisXenon
We hear that the universe is expanding, and this accounts for red shift as all objecsts are accellerating away from each other.

But I have also heard that it is the space itself, of which the universe made, that is expanding - not that things are moving in that space.
If so, then the distances between objects as measured in this expanding space is presumably constant, since the "rulers" would also be expanding in that same space.
And in this case, there would be no red shift.
Clearly, I'm wrong, and I'm hoping someone can straighten my out on this.

This might relate to another puzzle I have.
I am told not only that things are moving away from each other, but that things are accelerating away from each other.
Since these objects are isolated, what is the constant force which is causing this acceleration?
Or, if we are way beyong Newton at this point, how is this accelleration caused?

Thanks again, Chris

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Rulers are not expanding.

The acceleration of expansion (discovered about ten years ago) is due to something given the name "dark energy". No one knows what it really is, although it seems to be related to the "Cosmological Constant" in general relativity.

The Perlmutter study injected dark energy into the mix. See
http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/print/31910

ChrisXenon said:
We hear that the universe is expanding, and this accounts for red shift as all objecsts are accellerating away from each other.

But I have also heard that it is the space itself, of which the universe made, that is expanding - not that things are moving in that space.
If so, then the distances between objects as measured in this expanding space is presumably constant, since the "rulers" would also be expanding in that same space.
And in this case, there would be no red shift.
Clearly, I'm wrong, and I'm hoping someone can straighten my out on this.

Bound systems - held together by gravity or electromagnetic forces - can oppose the expansion so they don't change. At least for now.

This might relate to another puzzle I have.
I am told not only that things are moving away from each other, but that things are accelerating away from each other.
Since these objects are isolated, what is the constant force which is causing this acceleration?
Or, if we are way beyong Newton at this point, how is this accelleration caused?

Thanks again, Chris

Newton still holds, but we presently don't know what is causing the observed acceleration. There are lots of theories, but no definite answers as yet. That's why we're still making bigger and better telescopes to study it further. If we knew why, then the need for the scopes would be less.

Beware of physicists with too many answers. They might be trying to sell you something ;-)

universe is expanding. maybe not! think if the photons ,we see in Hables telescope, are with more or less energy they change colors spectre - so if in middle of universe is huge super-massive black hole , which evidence universe , then on its way photon loose energy and we see it as red or violet or blue..

uh thanks! that's help a lot...
anyway - do we have thread - how universe is made?

btw it was idea i made myself - that i liked ;(

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Why Does the Expanding Universe Cause Red Shift?

1. What is the expanding universe?

The expanding universe is the scientific theory that states the universe is constantly growing and expanding. This means that the distance between galaxies and other celestial bodies is increasing over time.

2. How do we know the universe is expanding?

We know the universe is expanding through observations of redshift. Redshift is the phenomenon where light from distant galaxies appears to be shifted towards the red end of the light spectrum, indicating that the galaxies are moving away from us.

3. What is redshift?

Redshift is the stretching of light waves as they travel through expanding space. This stretching causes the light to appear more red, hence the term "redshift". It is used to measure the rate of expansion of the universe.

4. What is the difference between expansion and acceleration of the universe?

Expansion refers to the overall growth of the universe, while acceleration refers to the rate at which the expansion is increasing. Current research suggests that the expansion of the universe is accelerating, possibly due to the presence of dark energy.

5. How does the expanding universe affect the future of our universe?

The expanding universe will continue to grow and stretch, causing galaxies to move further apart. This will result in a cooling and darkening of the universe as stars and galaxies become more spread out. It is also believed that the expansion may eventually lead to the end of the universe in a scenario known as the "Big Freeze".