Why Does the Line Integral of a Square Path's Perimeter Equal Zero?

In summary: The parameterization for each line segment is given above, and the values of t were chosen to correspond with the endpoints of each line segment.
IniquiTrance
When I take the line integral around a square shape path "C" as follows:

From A to B to C to D to A

C1 = A(0, 0) to B (4, 0)

t i
0 <= t <= 4

C2 = B (4, 0) to C (4, 7)

4 i + (t - 4) j
4 <= t <= 11

C3 = C (4, 7) to D (0, 7)

(15 - t) i + 7 j

11 <= t <= 15

C4 = D (0, 7) to A (0, 0)

(22 - t) j

15 <= t <= 22

Why is that when I take the line integral around this path using [tex]\int_{C }||r'(t)|| dt[/tex] and the above parameterization, I end up with 0, when I should be getting the arc length of the path, which is the perimeter of the square?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
When you take the integral of what around that path?

If f(x,y)dx+ g(x,y)dy is an exact differential, that is if there exist F(x,y) such that dF= f(x,y)dx+ g(x,y)dy, then the integral from any point [itex](x_0,y_0)[/itex] to [itex](x_1,y_1)[/itex],
[tex]\int_{(x_0,y_0)}^{(x_1,y_1)} f(x,y)dx+ g(x,y)dy= F(x_1,y_1)- F(x_0,y_0)[/tex]
and, in particular, if [itex](x_1,y_1)= (x_0,y_0)[/itex] then [itex]F(x_1,y_1)= F(x_0,y_0)[/itex] and that difference is 0.

Now, what is ||r'(t)||?

HallsofIvy said:
When you take the integral of what around that path?

If f(x,y)dx+ g(x,y)dy is an exact differential, that is if there exist F(x,y) such that dF= f(x,y)dx+ g(x,y)dy, then the integral from any point [itex](x_0,y_0)[/itex] to [itex](x_1,y_1)[/itex],
[tex]\int_{(x_0,y_0)}^{(x_1,y_1)} f(x,y)dx+ g(x,y)dy= F(x_1,y_1)- F(x_0,y_0)[/tex]
and, in particular, if [itex](x_1,y_1)= (x_0,y_0)[/itex] then [itex]F(x_1,y_1)= F(x_0,y_0)[/itex] and that difference is 0.

Now, what is ||r'(t)||?

I was taking the arc length of f(x, y) = 1 along ds.

Since "x" is a potential function of 1, it seems I should then be getting 0.

Yet I thought taking a line integral where f(x, y) = 1 should be giving me the arc length of the path, yet this turns out to be 0.

Where am I mistaken?

Also [tex]||r'(t)||= \frac{ds}{dt}[/tex]

IniquiTrance said:
I was taking the arc length of f(x, y) = 1 along ds.
This makes no sense. You don't find the "arc length" of a function, you find the length of an arc. In particular, integrating the dervative of any differentiable function around a closed path will give 0.

Since "x" is a potential function of 1, it seems I should then be getting 0.

Yet I thought taking a line integral where f(x, y) = 1 should be giving me the arc length of the path, yet this turns out to be 0.

Where am I mistaken?
You are not taking direction into account. On the line (0,0) to (4,0), ds= dx and you have
[tex]\int_0^4 dx= 4[/itex]

On the line segment (4, 0) to (4, 7), ds= dy and you have
[tex]\int_0^7 dy= 7[/itex]

But on the line segment (4, 7) to (0, 7), x is decreasing from 4 to 0 so ds= -dx and you integrate
[tex]\int_4^0 (-dx)= -(-4)= 4[/tex]

On the line integral (0,7) to (0,0), y is decreasing from 7 to 0 so ds= - dy and you integrate
[tex]\int_7^0 (-dy)= -(-7)= 7[/tex]

The integral around the entire rectangle is 4+ 7+ 4+ 7= 22.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I see your point. I meant we are taking the line integral along [tex]ds[/tex] with [tex]f(x,y) =1[/tex]

I was computing it wrong, as the perimeter can be calculated with such a line integral.

[tex]\int_C f(x, y)||r'(t)|| dt =[/tex]

[tex]C_{1}=\int_0^4 dt = 4[/tex]

[tex]C_{2}=\int_4^{11} dt = 7[/tex]

[tex]C_{3}=\int_{11}^{15} ||-1|| dt = 4[/tex]

[tex]C_{4}=\int_{15}^{22} ||-1|| dt = 7[/tex]

[tex]C_{1} + C_{2} + C_{3} + C_{4} = 22[/tex]

How did you get the values t= 11, t= 15, t= 22?:wink:

By constructing a piece-wise vector valued function around the rectangle.

FAQ: Why Does the Line Integral of a Square Path's Perimeter Equal Zero?

1. What is the definition of arc length?

Arc length is the distance along a curve or a function. It is calculated by dividing the curve into small segments and adding all the segments together to get an approximation of the total length.

2. How is the arc length formula derived?

The arc length formula is derived using the Pythagorean theorem. By taking the limit as the segments become infinitely small, the formula becomes more accurate and is represented as an integral.

3. What is the difference between arc length and line integral?

Arc length is the distance along a curve, while line integral is the integral of a function along a curve. In other words, arc length measures the length of a curve, while line integral measures the accumulated value of a function along a curve.

4. Can arc length and line integrals be applied in real-world scenarios?

Yes, arc length and line integrals can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, in physics, arc length can be used to calculate the distance traveled by an object along a curved path, while line integrals can be used to calculate the work done by a force along a curved path.

5. Are there any practical applications of arc length and line integrals in mathematics?

Arc length and line integrals have various applications in mathematics, such as in the study of curves and surfaces. They are also used in the field of differential geometry to calculate the length and curvature of curves and surfaces. Additionally, they play a crucial role in vector calculus and have applications in multivariable calculus and differential equations.

Back