Why Does the Method of Distribution Affect Probability Calculations?

• Thread starter mooncrater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Choice
In summary, the question asks for the probability that the first box contains 3 balls out of 12 that are distributed among three distinct boxes. This can be solved using a binomial distribution with n = 12 and the probability of a success (assigning a ball to the first box) being 1/3. The total number of ways for this to happen is 12C3, and thus the probability is (12C3)(1/3)^3(2/3)^9.
mooncrater

Homework Statement

The question says that :
Twelve distinct balls are distributes among three distinct boxes. Find the probability that the first box contains 3 balls.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

It can be done through:
No. Of choices for each ball=3
Total no. of choices=312
We have to select 3 out of twelve and arrange the remaining nine balls in 29 ways so that the answer would be :
110×210/312.
But I was thinking that why a choice is given to the balls. Why not to boxes? Each box then will have 12 choices and total choices would be 123. Why this thinking is incorrect here?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first way is you are going to assign each ball to one of the 3 boxes until all the balls are used up. No balls are left over.

The second way is you are attempting to assign each box to one of 12 balls until all the boxes are used up. Since the number of boxes is less than the number of balls then there will be 9 balls left over without any boxes assigned. You also calculated it wrong since you are assuming the balls would be re-used. The correct calculation should be 12⋅11⋅10 = 13,200.

mooncrater said:
Each box then will have 12 choices
But those choices are not independent. Two boxes cannot choose the same ball, but two balls can choose the same box.
paisiello2 said:
You also calculated it wrong since you are assuming the balls would be re-used. The correct calculation should be 12⋅11⋅10 = 13,200.
mooncrater's answer looks ok to me. 12C3(1/3)3(2/3)9.
One thing bothers me... why are we told the balls are distinct?
mooncrater said:
balls are distributes among three distinct boxes
That's a bit vague. I'd rather it said "each ball is assigned independently and with equal probability to any of three boxes".

Likes mooncrater
haruspex said:
But those choices are not independent. Two boxes cannot choose the same ball, but two balls can choose the same box.
Ok got it now. Thanks.

mooncrater said:

Homework Statement

The question says that :
Twelve distinct balls are distributes among three distinct boxes. Find the probability that the first box contains 3 balls.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

It can be done through:
No. Of choices for each ball=3
Total no. of choices=312
We have to select 3 out of twelve and arrange the remaining nine balls in 29 ways so that the answer would be :
110×210/312.
But I was thinking that why a choice is given to the balls. Why not to boxes? Each box then will have 12 choices and total choices would be 123. Why this thinking is incorrect here?

When assigning balls to boxes, the box choices are independent from ball-to-ball, so you have a binomial distribution with n = 12 and the two categories ('box 1' or 'not box 1'). The probability that box 1 contains ##k## balls is
$$P(k) = {12 \choose k} \, (1/3)^k \, (2/3)^{12-k}, \; k = 0,1,2, \ldots, 12.$$
Substitute ##k = 3##

haruspex said:
mooncrater's answer looks ok to me. 12C3(1/3)3(2/3)9.
You're confused about which number I was referring to. He calculated the total number of choices for the box as 123 which can only be true if the balls are replaced at every choice. Which is another different assumption than when choosing for the balls.

FAQ: Why Does the Method of Distribution Affect Probability Calculations?

1. What is P&c: whose choice matters?

P&c: whose choice matters is a scientific concept that explores the dynamics of individual choice and how it affects the larger society.

2. Why is P&c: whose choice matters important?

This concept is important because it allows us to understand how individual choices can have a significant impact on the well-being of a society as a whole.

3. How does P&c: whose choice matters relate to scientific research?

P&c: whose choice matters is a topic that is studied in various fields of science, such as psychology, sociology, and economics, as it has implications for understanding human behavior and decision-making.

4. Can P&c: whose choice matters be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the concept of P&c: whose choice matters can be applied to real-life situations, such as policy-making, social movements, and personal relationships, to better understand the impact of individual choices.

5. Are there any ethical considerations associated with P&c: whose choice matters?

Yes, there may be ethical considerations when studying P&c: whose choice matters, such as ensuring the protection of individual rights and privacy in research studies. It is important for scientists to conduct studies in an ethical and responsible manner.

Back