Why Does the Negative Sign Appear in the Vector Potential Equation?

deuteron
TL;DR Summary
We have motivated the derivation of the vector potential in the following way:
1706619806217.png

However, I cannot understand where the ##-## sign in the second equality came from. I thought that it was because the gradient was with respect to the ##y##-variable, and then using the product rule one could explain the transition to the last expression, but in that case ##\nabla_{\vec y}\times\vec j(\vec y)## would have to be zero, which I am not really sure is necessarily true; and in that case I would again not understand how a ##\nabla_{\vec y}## would become a ##\nabla_{\vec x}##, since at ##\nabla\times \vec A(\vec x)## I assume ##\nabla## must be acting on the ##\vec x##
That's why I don't see how the left and right hand sides of the third, fourth, and possibly the fifts ##=## signs are equal to each other, can someone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that
##\nabla_x \dfrac{1}{|x-y|}=-\dfrac{x-y}{|x-y|^3}=-\nabla_y \dfrac{1}{|x-y|}##
It follows that
##\dfrac{x-y}{|x-y|^3}=+\nabla_y \dfrac{1}{|x-y|}=-\nabla_x \dfrac{1}{|x-y|}.##

So the second equality is $$=-\frac{1}{c}\int \int \int j(y)\times\nabla_x \dfrac{1}{|x-y|}d^3y$$Does this help?

but in that case how do we take ##\nabla_{\vec x}## out of the integral? It wasn't cross multiplied with ##\frac 1 {|\vec x-\vec y|}##, but now it is?

The vector identity says
##\vec{\nabla}\times(\psi~\vec A)= \psi \vec{\nabla}\times\vec A+\vec{\nabla}\psi\times \vec A. ##
Here you identify
##\vec{\nabla}\rightarrow \vec{\nabla}_x##
##\psi \rightarrow \dfrac{1}{|x-y|}##
##\vec A \rightarrow \vec j (y)##

What do you get when you put these in the identity?

Related to Why Does the Negative Sign Appear in the Vector Potential Equation?

1. Why is there a negative sign in the vector potential equation?

The negative sign in the vector potential equation arises due to the conventions used in defining the magnetic vector potential. Specifically, it ensures consistency with the right-hand rule and the relationship between the magnetic field and the vector potential through the curl operation. This helps maintain the correct directionality of the magnetic field.

2. How does the negative sign affect the physical interpretation of the vector potential?

The negative sign affects the direction of the magnetic field derived from the vector potential. It ensures that the magnetic field (B) obtained from the curl of the vector potential (A) aligns correctly with physical observations and experimental results, adhering to established electromagnetic theory and conventions.

3. Can the negative sign in the vector potential equation be omitted or changed?

No, the negative sign cannot be arbitrarily omitted or changed without altering the fundamental relationships and consistency within electromagnetic theory. It is a crucial part of the mathematical framework that ensures the correct representation of the magnetic field and its interactions.

4. What is the mathematical origin of the negative sign in the vector potential equation?

The mathematical origin of the negative sign comes from the definition of the magnetic vector potential (A) and its relationship to the magnetic field (B). The magnetic field is defined as the curl of the vector potential, B = ∇ × A. The negative sign ensures that this relationship holds true under the right-hand rule and the conventions of vector calculus.

5. Does the negative sign in the vector potential equation have any impact on gauge transformations?

No, the negative sign does not impact gauge transformations. Gauge transformations involve adding the gradient of a scalar function to the vector potential, which does not affect the curl operation or the resulting magnetic field. The negative sign remains consistent and does not influence the gauge freedom in choosing the vector potential.