Why Does the Negative Sign Become Positive in Absolute Value Equations?

In summary, when one absolute value bracket goes away, the equation becomes simpler. The equation becomes "4|x-2|=12x" when the -3 bracket goes away in the first question. The equation becomes "5|x+2|=15" when the -2 bracket goes away in the first question.
Nelo
Absolute value Quest, urgent

Homework Statement

a) |x-2| + |6-3x| = 12x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a question about y this negetive becomes a positive.. ::

Steps ::
|x-2| + -3|x-2|
|x-2| +3 |x-2| = 12x > this step if i factored out.. |x-2|+[-3]|x-2| , shouldn't it be -3 +1 =2?? why does it become 4
4|x-2| = 12/4
|x-2| = 3x
If i factor out a -3, then add the "1" on the left side it should be -2 no? in my notes its written this way and is correct in the book, why did that -3 become positive?

Physics news on Phys.org

anyone...?

Nelo said:

Homework Statement

a) |x-2| + |6-3x| = 12x

Steps ::
|x-2| + -3|x-2|

You can not replace |6-3x| by -3|x-2|. The absolute value is never negative, and you made it never positive. Factor out 3, so your equation becomes |x-2| + 3|2-x| = 12x

Replace |x-2| by 2-x if x-2<0. At the same time, 2-x>0 so |2-x|=2-x.
What have you do when x-2 >0?

ehild

Um... okay.. so you can't take out a negetive..

Then..

:: |x-2| + |6-3x| = 12x
:: |x-2| + 3|2-x| = 12x
:: 4|x-2| |2-x| = 12x/4
|x-2| |2-x| = 3x.

Now your telling me to replace 2-x with x-2? because they both need a value of 2 yes?

So get rid of 2-x and it becomes |x-2|=3x , is that right??

? anyone

Nelo said:
Um... okay.. so you can't take out a negetive..

Then..

:: 4|x-2| =12x, |2-x| = 12x/4
|x-2| |2-x| = 3x?.

Now your telling me to replace 2-x with x-2? because they both need a value of 2 yes?

I do not understand your questions.

|x-2|=|2-x|, so the sum is 4|x-2|=12x , so |x-2|=3x.

You have two possibilities: x<2 and x≥2. What is |x-2| in both cases?

ehild

The two possibilities is not My question. My question is what is happening algebraically to this question inorder for there to only be one |x+1| BRACKET. What happends do other bracket? do they join to become one?

:: 4|x-2| =12x, |2-x| = 12x/4
|x-2| |2-x| = 3x?. < Why does one of the absolute brackets go away? how do you know which one?

Let me pose another question.

b) 7|x+2| = 2|x+2| +15

does this simplify into..

5|x+2| = 15

The two brackets were the same so they added and joined, but the two brackets in the first question arent the same, so why would they join and become one? why did it vanish

I know all about the cases, that's not what I am asking, just tryin to figure out the algebra stuff

Last edited:

|6- 3x|= |-3(x- 2)|= 3|x- 2|
(That's what meant when he said "you can't take out a negatve"- but you can take out the
"3". The "negative became a positive" because you are taking the absolute value: |-3|= 3.

With that, your equation becomes "4|x- 2|= 12x" so that |x- 2|= 3x.
Of course |x-2|=|2- x|. There is no difference between them because absolute value "strips away the sign". More accurately, if [itex]x-2\ge 0[/itex], so that |x- 2|= x-2, then [itex]2- x\le 0[/itex] so that |2- x|= -(2- x)= x- 2 also. And, of course, if x- 2< 0 so that |x- 2|= -(x- 2)= 2- x, then 2- x> 0 so that |2- x= 2- x. Either way, |x- 2|= |2- x|.
More generally, |x|= |-x|.

Now, to complete the problem, consider cases:
If [itex]x- 2\ge 0[/itex], |x- 2|= x- 2= 4x. Solve that. Is x> 2?
If x- 2< 0, |x- 2|= -(x- 2)= 2- x= 4x. Solve that. Is x< 2

Related to Why Does the Negative Sign Become Positive in Absolute Value Equations?

1. What is absolute value?

Absolute value is the distance of a number from zero on the number line. It is always positive, regardless of the sign of the number.

2. How do you find the absolute value of a number?

To find the absolute value of a number, you can remove the negative sign if it has one, or you can square the number and then take the square root.

3. What is the purpose of absolute value?

Absolute value is used to represent the magnitude of a number without considering its direction. It is commonly used in mathematics and science to simplify calculations and equations.

4. Can absolute value be negative?

No, absolute value is always positive. The negative sign is removed when finding the absolute value of a number.

5. How is absolute value used in real life?

Absolute value has many practical applications in real life, such as calculating distance, determining speed and velocity, and measuring temperature. It is also used in finance to represent the difference between two values.