Why Does the Scale Reading Change in an Accelerating Elevator?

In summary: If it did not accept 636.8895 Newtons, how did you get the slightly different answer of 682.31895 Newtons?I get a slightly different answer from your 636.8895 Newtons by subtracting 58.5 from each of the calculations where I used 815.
keemosabi

Homework Statement

A woman stands on a scale in a moving elevator. Her mass is 58.5 kg, and the combined mass of the elevator and scale is an additional 815 kg. Starting from rest, the elevator accelerates upward. During the acceleration, the hoisting cable applies a force of 9510 N. What does the scale read during the acceleration?

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the acceleration of the entire elevator by doing 9510 - 815(9.8) = 1523. I divided this by 815 to get 1.8687. It is in the negative direction, so it is -1.8687 If this is the acceleration of the elevator, it must also be the acceleration of the person. As a result, I did Fnet = ma, Fnet = (58.5)(-1.8697) and got Fnet = 682.31895. I put 682.31895 as the what the scale reads but it says I got the answer wrong. What did I do incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
How many scales have you stepped on that give a reading in Newtons? When you are in an elevator that starts going up, do you feel momentarily heavier or lighter?

D H said:
How many scales have you stepped on that give a reading in Newtons?
The space to fill in the answer requests that it be given in Newtons.
When you are in an elevator that starts going up, do you feel momentarily heavier or lighter?
I believe you feel momentarily heavier.

keemosabi said:
Her mass is 58.5 kg, and the combined mass of the elevator and scale is an additional 815 kg.

I found the acceleration of the entire elevator by doing 9510 - 815(9.8) = 1523. I divided this by 815 to get 1.8687.

What did I do incorrectly?

You forgot about the mass of the woman.

D H said:
You forgot about the mass of the woman.
Is that because it says that the elevator and the scale provide an additional mass?

Yes. That's why I highlighted the word additional.

Code:
9510 - 815(9.8) = 1523. I divided this by 815 to get 1.8687.

So basically just add 58.5 to each of those calculations where I used 815?

What does that get you?

D H said:
What does that get you?
It accounts for the weight of the woman in all of my calculations.

So is the answer 636.8895?

I get a very slightly different answer from your 636.8895 Newtons.

From your first post, it appears you are using some electronic form that tells you whether your answer is correct. Did it accept 636.8895 Newtons? If it did not accept that, show your work.

FAQ: Why Does the Scale Reading Change in an Accelerating Elevator?

What causes weight change in an elevator?

The weight change in an elevator is caused by the acceleration or deceleration of the elevator car. When the elevator is moving, it exerts a force on the objects inside, including passengers, which can cause a change in weight.

Why does weight change in an elevator?

Weight change in an elevator is a result of Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration. When the elevator is accelerating, the force exerted on objects inside, including passengers, increases, resulting in a change in weight.

Does weight really change in an elevator?

Yes, weight does change in an elevator. This is due to the effects of acceleration on objects inside the elevator car, as explained by Newton's Second Law of Motion. However, the mass of the objects remains the same.

Can weight change in an elevator affect the elevator's movement?

Yes, weight change in an elevator can affect the elevator's movement. The weight of passengers and objects inside the elevator car adds to the overall weight of the elevator, which can impact its acceleration and deceleration.

Is it safe to stand on a scale in an elevator?

Standing on a scale in an elevator is generally safe. However, the reading on the scale may not be accurate due to the effects of acceleration on weight. It is recommended to stand still and not move around in the elevator to get a more accurate reading.