Why Does the Tensor Product Become a Wedge Product in Dolbeault Cohomology?

In summary, the conversation is about the use of a theorem from multilinear algebra to prove the construction of taking the kth exterior product of a direct sum in Dolbeault cohomology on a complex manifold. The speaker is having trouble understanding why a tensor product is required in the proof and how it relates to the final result involving local coordinates. They are seeking suggestions or a proof for this part of the algebraic establishment.
nrobins

Hi,
I am edging my way towards Dolbeault cohomology on a complex manifold and one of the constructions involves taking the kth exterior product of a direct sum (the decomposition of the cotangent bundle into holomorphic and antiholomorphic subspaces). This relies on a theorem from multilinear algebra that says that the result is the direct sum of tensor products of exterior products of the subspaces (sorry but I do not have the Latex to set down the formula).

My problem is that when coordinates are subsequently used, the tensor product metamorphoses into a wedge product and I cannot convince myself that these are equivalent. I have not found a proof of the multilinear algebra theorem so I am not clear why a tensor product is required in the first place.

I appreciate that this is a rather detailed question of technique but it won't leave me alone!

Any suggestions?

Thank you in anticipation

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for your response.
The reference that you give is indeed the eventual result required, but my query relates to the algebraic establishment of this via the general result (e.g. Wikipedia, "Exterior Algebra" section 4.2 on Direct Sums which starts
"In particular, the exterior algebra of a direct sum is isomorphic to the tensor product of the exterior algebras:" ).
This can of course be applied to the decomposition of the cotangent bundle induced by the almost complex structure. The step that I am missing is the change from a tensor product to a wedge product in the final result that you quote involving local coordinates.

BTW I have no doubt about the validity of the result that you reference (which can probably be established quite easily by induction) just this underying bit of multilinear algebra.

Related to Why Does the Tensor Product Become a Wedge Product in Dolbeault Cohomology?

1. What is the exterior product of direct sum?

The exterior product of direct sum is a mathematical operation that combines two vector spaces to create a new vector space. It is denoted by the symbol ∧ and is also known as the exterior tensor product.

2. How is the exterior product of direct sum different from the direct sum?

The direct sum combines the two vector spaces by creating a larger vector space where the elements are ordered pairs of the original vector spaces. The exterior product, on the other hand, creates a new vector space where the elements are ordered sequences of the original vector spaces.

3. What are some properties of the exterior product of direct sum?

Some properties of the exterior product of direct sum include: bilinearity, associativity, distributivity, and commutativity. It is also a graded algebra, meaning that the degree of the resulting element is the sum of the degrees of the original elements.

4. How is the exterior product of direct sum used in physics?

In physics, the exterior product of direct sum is used to define the exterior algebra, which is a mathematical tool used to describe geometric quantities such as vectors, planes, and volumes. It is also used in the study of differential forms and their applications in fields such as electromagnetism and general relativity.

5. What are some real-world applications of the exterior product of direct sum?

The exterior product of direct sum has various applications in fields such as computer science, engineering, and physics. It is used in computer graphics to calculate cross products of vectors, in robotics to determine the orientation of objects, and in signal processing to analyze signals with multiple frequencies. It is also used in quantum mechanics to represent spin states of particles.