Why Does the Wronskian of Two Functions Yield Zero?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of linear independence and the calculation of the Wronskian in determining it. The speaker is confused about getting a result of 0 while their instructor gets 20t, but it is clarified that the correct result should be 10t^2. The conversation also mentions the use of derivatives in the Wronskian calculation.
blizzard750
y1(t) = t^(2)+5t, y2(t) = t^(2)-5t

I know that these functions are linearly independent because they are not scalar multiples, but every time that i do the Wronskian i get 0.

[t^(2) + 5t t^(2)-5t]
[2t+5 2t -5]

(2t^(3) -25t) - (2t^3-25t) = 0 my instructor some how gets 20t please tell me how

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you write that down wrong?
It should be 10t^2
(t^(2) + 5t)(t^(2) - 5t)'=(t^(2) + 5t)(2t -5)=2t^3+5t^2-25!=(2t^(3) -25t)
(t^(2) - 5t)(t^(2) + 5t)=(t^(2) - 5t)(2t +5)=2t^3-5t^2-25!=(2t^(3) -25t)
W=(2t^3+5t^2-25)-(2t^3-5t^2-25)
and one way a person would get 20t is if he/she took
(t^(2) + 5t)'=2t

FAQ: Why Does the Wronskian of Two Functions Yield Zero?

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model and solve a variety of problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.

2. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve a single independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations also only deal with functions of one variable, while partial differential equations deal with functions of multiple variables.

3. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved analytically or numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding a formula for the function that satisfies the differential equation, while numerical solutions involve using algorithms and computer programs to approximate the solution.

4. What is the significance of differential equations in science and engineering?

Differential equations are essential in modeling and understanding real-world phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. They allow scientists and engineers to make predictions and solve complex problems by using mathematical models.

5. What are some common applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model and solve problems in a wide range of fields, including fluid dynamics, mechanics, electromagnetism, and population dynamics. They are also used in economics, finance, and chemistry to study and predict various phenomena.