Why does time pass in an isolated vacuum?

In summary, the concept of the arrow of time, which points in the direction of increasing entropy, may not apply in a purely vacuum universe. However, once objects are introduced, the passage of time becomes a meaningful concept. In the quantum world, time is not a physical observable, but rather associated with measuring devices. The arrow of time is a question about the asymmetry of time reversal on the macroscopic scale and the irreversible process of measurement plays a role in this. The idea of entropy in a vacuum is also challenged, as any sharp state has zero entropy and it is better understood as entanglement with the environment. Overall, the concept of time and entropy in a vacuum raises important questions about our understanding of the universe.
Alec Hewitt
I read a little bit on the arrow of time and how some physicists think that it points in the direction of increasing entropy. This made sense until I thought about a vacuum. From what I read, entropy does not increase nor decrease in a vacuum so if we used this definition on the "arrow of time" then why does time pass in a vacuum?

Physics news on Phys.org
If your whole universe is purely vacuum then the passage of time could be a meaningless concept - and there is nothing that could measure it anyway. As soon as you have things in the universe you don't have that problem any more.

Likes PeroK and Alec Hewitt
mfb said:
If your whole universe is purely vacuum then the passage of time could be a meaningless concept - and there is nothing that could measure it anyway. As soon as you have things in the universe you don't have that problem any more.
What if there was electromagnetic radiation in this vacuum, would the entropy change? Also, do quantum fluctuations in the vacuum have anything to do with entropy?

There are a couple of issues I must raise with your question. Firstly, there is also no increase nor decrease of entropy for any system in a "sharp state" as given by a wave-function (rather than a density operator). The vacuum is not unique in this respect. So by the reasoning you put into this question you should also ask about time's passage for any sharply defined quantum state.

As to how time relates to quantum systems, note that time is not a physical observable. It is not something "in the system" but rather is associated with the measuring devices in the classical (thermodynamic) realm. Time is still a "c-number" a classical parameter an part of the episystemic framework which defines the quantum system.

Finally as to the question of the arrow of time, that is a question about the asymmetry of time reversal on the macroscopic scale when the microscopic dynamics is apparently symmetric under time reversal. In both the symmetric and asymmetric scenarios there is no question of time passing between events. The question is about the discrete reversal transformation which looks so different in both cases. In quantum, there is a fundamental thermodynamic aspect to measurement. It is an irreversible process breaking the symmetry in specific ways. This is one of the places where the time asymmetry can "sneak into the picture" when one is trying to understand the emergence of a distinction between past an future.

Now your question is still a good question even with the issues I point out. It is a good question because it forces one to consider these issues. Its a thinking question not a "how to build a bridge" question. I have a few other questions for you to consider alongside yours.
  • How do you know your system is in a vacuum state? Especially how do you know it is in such over a span of time?
  • Can you verify a system is in vacuum without breaking that vacuum?
  • Supposing I gave your question the simple answer "It (time) doesn't pass!". What empirical facts would confirm or dispute my claim?

Likes FactChecker and Alec Hewitt
Alec Hewitt said:
What if there was electromagnetic radiation in this vacuum, would the entropy change?

A state in which all the photons are at the same place has less entropy than when they are spread out.

anorlunda said:
A state in which all the photons are at the same place has less entropy than when they are spread out.
No! That is not correct. Any sharp state, whether its with the photons in the same place or spread out to the 4 corners or all absent... any such state has zero entropy.

Non-zero entropy quantum systems must be described with density operators instead of hilbert space vectors/wave functions.

A better way to understand entropy in the quantum world is as entanglement of the system with its environment (especially with phenomena which are beyond event horizons and thus not reversible without some previously planned means of returning the outfleeing information.)

jambaugh said:
Any sharp state, whether its with the photons in the same place or spread out to the 4 corners or all absent... any such state has zero entropy.

I disagree, unless you use a strange definition of sharp. Do you consider the cosmic background sharp?

Generally we presume that as things spread out from an ordered state, that we gradually lose track of their exact state, knowledge becomes fuzzy and entropy increases.

If all we know is that particles are contained in a volume, then a smaller volume corresponds to smaller entropy. I meant that a small volume and "the same place" are synonymous.

Alec Hewitt said:
I read a little bit on the arrow of time and how some physicists think that it points in the direction of increasing entropy. This made sense until I thought about a vacuum.

So far, so good.

From what I read, entropy does not increase nor decrease in a vacuum so if we used this definition on the "arrow of time" then why does time pass in a vacuum?

You're pointing out that in a vacuum you couldn't use entropy as an arrow of time. That's also correct. For entropy to have meaning, in the sense that you're using it, you'd need collections of large numbers of particles.

Where you seem to have gone off the rails is claiming that time doesn't exist in certain places, like in vacuums, where you can't define an arrow of time. All the arrow of time tells you is the direction, it doesn't tell you that time exists. In other words, without an arrow of time we'd have no way of telling whether time was passing forwards or backwards. And in a vacuum there would indeed be no way to tell. There would be no way to observe energy spreading out.

anorlunda said:
I disagree, unless you use a strange definition of sharp. Do you consider the cosmic background sharp?

Generally we presume that as things spread out from an ordered state, that we gradually lose track of their exact state, knowledge becomes fuzzy and entropy increases.

If all we know is that particles are contained in a volume, then a smaller volume corresponds to smaller entropy. I meant that a small volume and "the same place" are synonymous.

A sharp description is a description represented by a single Hilbert space vector. In field theories that would be an element of the Fock space. In all such cases the Von Neumann entropy is zero. The corresponding density operator is a single dimensional projection operator with trace 1 and thus ## S = -k Trace(\rho \ln(\rho)) = 0##.

Entropy is not about the spatial arrangement of the photons or their number (in this particular example) excepting that there is typically only one zero particle state thus the vacuum typically has S=T=0. Entropy is about the degree to which one has a system which is less than maximally specified. It is a "measure of ignorance".

I've written three times as much as this and erased it multiple times. I'd be happy to discuss this in a different thread but fear I'll get far afield of the OP.

Related to Why does time pass in an isolated vacuum?

1. Why does time seem to pass slower in an isolated vacuum?

Time appears to pass slower in an isolated vacuum due to the effects of relativity. In a vacuum, there is no external reference frame, so time and space are relative to the observer. This means that time can seem to pass differently depending on the observer's perspective.

2. What is the relationship between gravity and the passage of time in an isolated vacuum?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, gravity affects the passage of time. In an isolated vacuum, there is no gravity to act as a force on objects, so time can appear to pass slower or faster depending on an object's speed and position.

3. Is time passing differently in an isolated vacuum a proven phenomenon?

Yes, the effects of relativity on time in an isolated vacuum have been proven through various experiments and observations. One famous example is the Hafele-Keating experiment, which showed that time passes slower for objects in motion than stationary objects.

4. Can we control the passage of time in an isolated vacuum?

While we cannot control the passage of time in an isolated vacuum, we can manipulate its effects through various factors like speed and gravity. For example, astronauts in orbit experience time dilation due to their high speed, while objects near massive objects like black holes experience extreme time dilation due to the strong gravitational pull.

5. How does the concept of time in an isolated vacuum relate to the concept of time in the universe?

The concept of time in an isolated vacuum is a microcosm of the concept of time in the universe. It highlights the effects of relativity on the passage of time and how time is relative to the observer's perspective. However, in the larger universe, there are other factors at play such as the expansion of space and the effects of gravity on time.