Why Does $\vec{n}.\vec{r}$ Equal $d$ for a Parallel Line?

• MHB
  • Thread starter ognik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parameter
In summary, the book says that the position vector for $\vec{blue}$ will not always be perpendicular to $\vec{n}, but it will always be the distance d from the origin to the line.
ognik
I must have a mental block here!
Given r(t) = (x(t), y(t)) = (-3t, 4t) - clearly this passes through the origin.

Eliminating t results in $4x + 3y = 0 $. Normalising gives $\frac{4}{5}x + \frac{3}{5}y = 0 $ which we can write as $ \vec{n}.\vec{r}=0 $ , i.e. $ \vec{n} = \left(\frac{4}{5}, \frac{3}{5}\right) $. Cool.

Now we look at a line parallel to r(t), a distance d from the origin in the direction of $\vec{n}$. Clearly the normal to this line is also $ \vec{n} = \left(\frac{4}{5}, \frac{3}{5}\right) $

My book now says $ \vec{n}.\vec{r}=d $! But I think $ \vec{n}\: \& \: \vec{r}$ are also orthogonal, so shouldn't $ \vec{n}.\vec{r}$ always $=0 $?

(The example goes on to have this new, parallel line pass through (3, 0), then the eqtn for this line is 4x + 3y = 12 (which I am happy with) , then they use $ \vec{n}.\vec{r}=d $ to find $ d = \frac{12}{5} ...$)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ognik,

I think looking at the attached picture should help. The position vector \(\displaystyle \vec{r}\) for the red line will always be perpendicular to \(\displaystyle \vec{n},\) but by shifting the line away from the origin, the position vector \(\displaystyle \hat{r}\) for the blue line is not always perpendicular to \(\displaystyle \vec{n}.\) Given that \(\displaystyle \hat{r}\) is to be a displacement of \(\displaystyle \vec{r}\) by a distance of \(\displaystyle d\) in the direction of \(\displaystyle \vec{n},\) can you see a way to write the equation for \(\displaystyle \hat{r}\) that will give \(\displaystyle \vec{n}\cdot\hat{r}=d\)?View attachment 4914

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 68
Hi and thanks GJA, but I still don't get why the blue line might not be perpendicular to $\vec{n}$- it is parallel to the red line, therefore at the same angle to all lines through the red line - like the normal = $\frac{\pi}{2}$ ?

Reversing this perspective, if not perpendicular, then the lines are not parallel, in which case $\vec{n}$ would not be the normal to the blue line...

Last edited:
Hey again ognik. I think what's possibly being overlooked is that a position vector is always drawn from the origin.

In the case of the red line, the position vector for each point on the line is some scalar multiple of \(\displaystyle (-3,4);\) i.e. \(\displaystyle \vec{r}=(-3,4)t\).

However, in the case of the blue line, the position vector for each point on the line (drawn from the origin) is not always perpendicular to \(\displaystyle \vec{n}.\) This is because the points on the blue line are not all described as a scalar multiple of \(\displaystyle \vec{r}.\) Specifically, the position vector for the blue line is the original vector \(\displaystyle \vec{r} \) shifted by $d$ units in the direction of \(\displaystyle \vec{n}.\) It is this shift, combined with the fact that position vectors are drawn from the origin, which makes the position vector for the blue line not perpendicular to \(\displaystyle \vec{n}\) for every point on the shifted (blue) line.

For example, in the attached image, the green vector \(\displaystyle 5\vec{n}=(4,3)\) is not perpendicular to the black position vector for the blue line. This implies that \(\displaystyle \vec{n}\) is not perpendicular to the position vector either.

Let me know if this picture helps clear up the confusion.View attachment 4917

Attachments

• Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 68
Thanks GJA, I am really trying to get my head around this; I know you & the book are right, I just want to understand why...maybe there is some subtlety of notation or convention I don't appreciate ...with that thought:

I am 100% that the position vector for $\vec{blue}$, will not always be $\perp$ to \vec{n}; in fact I think it will never be - it is only the blue vector itself that is always perpendicular to the original $\vec{n}$. For shortest d, the position vector for a point on the blue vector will be co-linear with $\vec{n}$.

But what is $\vec{r}$? I thought it was the red line, because $\vec{n}$ must be perpendicular to $\vec{r}$ for the original condition of $\vec{r}.\vec{n} = 0$. Are you saying that $\vec{r}$ for the blue line is now the position vector for $\vec{blue}$? In which case I would need to understand why $\vec{r}$ for the red line is not just the zero vector - with no direction?

ognik said:
My book now says $ \vec{n}.\vec{r}=d $! But I think $ \vec{n}\: \& \: \vec{r}$ are also orthogonal, so shouldn't $ \vec{n}.\vec{r}$ always $=0 $?

Hi ognik,

A vector along the line is always orthogonal to $\vec n$.
However, $\vec r$ is not along the line. Instead it's a vector from the origin to the line.

Now suppose $\vec r_0$ is some vector on the line.
Then the vector along the line is $\vec r - \vec r_0$ which must be orthogonal to $\vec n$.
So:
$$(\vec r - \vec r_0) \cdot \vec n = 0
\quad\Rightarrow\quad \vec r \cdot \vec n = \vec r_0 \cdot \vec n = d$$

Furthermore, since $d$ is the dot product of a point on the line with the unit normal, $d$ is the distance of the line to the origin.

Thanks guys, that's all clear now, just misunderstood what r was

FAQ: Why Does $\vec{n}.\vec{r}$ Equal $d$ for a Parallel Line?

1. What is the equation for eliminating t in $4x+3y=0$?

The equation for eliminating t in $4x+3y=0$ is $4x+3y=0$. This is because there is no variable for t in the original equation, so there is no need to eliminate it.

2. How can I eliminate t in $4x+3y=0$?

In order to eliminate t in $4x+3y=0$, you can simply rearrange the equation to solve for one of the variables. For example, if you solve for y, the equation becomes $y=-\frac{4}{3}x$, and t has been eliminated.

3. Why do we need to eliminate t in $4x+3y=0$?

The reason for eliminating t in $4x+3y=0$ is to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve. By eliminating t, we can solve for one variable and then substitute that value into the original equation to find the other variable.

4. What are the steps for eliminating t in $4x+3y=0$?

The steps for eliminating t in $4x+3y=0$ are as follows:

1. Rearrange the equation to solve for one of the variables.

2. Substitute the solved value into the original equation to find the other variable.

5. Can I eliminate t in a different way for $4x+3y=0$?

Yes, there are multiple ways to eliminate t in $4x+3y=0$. One way is to solve for x instead of y, which would result in the equation $x=-\frac{3}{4}y$. Another way is to multiply the entire equation by a number that will result in the coefficient of t being cancelled out.

Back