Why doesn't N3- have a dipole moment arrow from the central atom?

In summary, a dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges in a molecule, represented by a vector arrow. The direction of the arrow is determined by the difference in electronegativity values between atoms in the molecule. Multiple dipole moment arrows can exist in a molecule with more than one polar bond, and their directions affect the polarity of the molecule. Understanding dipole moment arrows is important in predicting the behavior of molecules and their physical and chemical properties.
Sho Kano
My teacher posted on his website, Lewis structures of different compounds. One of them were N3-
Untitled.png

Why isn't there a dipole moment arrow pointing from the central atom to the other Nitrogen? Does the arrow only point from neutral atom to negatively charged atom?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I am not sure I understand your question.

First of all - is it obligatory to mark a dipole in the Lewis structure?

Borek said:
I am not sure I understand your question.

First of all - is it obligatory to mark a dipole in the Lewis structure?
Don't know but He wants it done

Related to Why doesn't N3- have a dipole moment arrow from the central atom?

1. What is a dipole moment?

A dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges in a molecule. It is represented by a vector arrow pointing from the positive to the negative end of the molecule.

2. How is a dipole moment arrow determined?

The dipole moment arrow is determined by calculating the difference in electronegativity values between the atoms in a molecule. The atom with the higher electronegativity will have a slightly negative charge and the atom with the lower electronegativity will have a slightly positive charge.

3. Can a molecule have multiple dipole moment arrows?

Yes, a molecule can have multiple dipole moment arrows if it contains more than one polar bond. The individual dipole moments can be added together to determine the overall dipole moment of the molecule.

4. How does the direction of a dipole moment arrow affect the polarity of a molecule?

The direction of the dipole moment arrow indicates the direction of the electron flow in a molecule. If the arrow points towards the more electronegative atom, the molecule is polar and has a net dipole moment. If the arrow points towards the less electronegative atom, the molecule is nonpolar and has no net dipole moment.

5. Why is it important to understand dipole moment arrows?

Dipole moment arrows are important in understanding the polarity of a molecule, which affects its physical and chemical properties. They also help in predicting the behavior of molecules in different environments, such as in a solvent or in a chemical reaction.

Back