Why Doesn't the Drop Height Affect the Pendulum's Period?

In summary, the height at which a pendulum is dropped does not affect its period because the period of a pendulum is determined by its length and the acceleration due to gravity. This means that as long as the length and gravity remain constant, the period will also remain constant regardless of the drop height.
student34

Homework Statement

What's the period to a 1 meter long physical pendulum string where L = 1M
T=2∏√((2L)/(3g)) = 1.64s

But, I did my own experiment, and the higher I dropped the pendulum the longer it took for it to travel 1 oscillation. What is going on here?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi student34. The formula that you are using is only an approximate formula. It's pretty accurate for small amplitude oscillations (the smaller the better), but becomes more and more inaccurate as the amplitude is increased. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum

TSny said:
Hi student34. The formula that you are using is only an approximate formula. It's pretty accurate for small amplitude oscillations (the smaller the better), but becomes more and more inaccurate as the amplitude is increased. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum

Thank you so much. I thought I was going crazy!

FAQ: Why Doesn't the Drop Height Affect the Pendulum's Period?

1. Why is the height at which a pendulum is dropped not necessary to know for calculating its period?

The period of a pendulum is determined by its length and the acceleration due to gravity. The height at which it is dropped does not affect these factors, so it is not necessary to know for the calculation.

2. Can the height at which a pendulum is dropped affect its period?

No, the height at which a pendulum is dropped does not affect its period. The only factors that can affect the period are the length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Why is the length of a pendulum the only important factor for determining its period?

The length of a pendulum is directly proportional to its period. This means that the longer the pendulum, the longer its period will be. As the length increases, the pendulum takes longer to swing back and forth, resulting in a longer period.

4. Does the mass of the pendulum affect its period?

No, the mass of the pendulum does not affect its period. As long as the length and the acceleration due to gravity remain constant, the mass of the pendulum will not affect the time it takes for it to complete one swing.

5. Can the period of a pendulum change if it is dropped from different heights?

No, the period of a pendulum will not change if it is dropped from different heights. As long as the other factors remain constant, the period will remain the same regardless of the height at which it is dropped.