Why doesn't the moon eventually drift into space?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between conservation of energy and gravity, specifically in regards to the moon's orbit around the Earth. Despite initial concerns about the energy of gravity eventually depleting and the moon drifting off into space, the conversation explains that gravity is a fundamental force that does not require an expenditure of energy to work. Additionally, conservation of momentum, angular momentum, and energy are what make orbits stable. Other factors, such as the Earth's movement and other gravitational influences, also play a role in the stability of orbits.
pheadden
How does conservation of energy relate to Gravity? The moon seems to rotate around the Earth for eternity (so it seems). But intuitively I would think that the energy of Gravity would eventually deplete and the moon would drift off into space. This apparently isn't the case. I know that Fg=Gm1m2/r2, but I can't get my pea brained head around the idea that this goes on for eternity; and the energy of gravity doesn't run out as long as their is two bodies of mass.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't know what to tell you. You say you understand why, but are uncomfortable with the explanation. What would make you more comfortable?

pheadden said:
...the energy of Gravity would eventually deplete...

...Fg=Gm1m2/r2...

Where in your equation does it show energy being depleted? Everything on the right hand side of the equation appear to be constants.

But this brings up another question. With the recent meteor event over Russia, we've learned that 10's of thousands of tons of meteors fall on the Earth every year. And we would assume it's also happening to the moon as well. So m1 and m2 are both increasing, which means Fg is going up! Which means, intuitively to me, that we are going to collide! And yet, everything I've read says that the distance between the Earth and Moon is increasing.

An interesting discussion of that: why is the moon drifting into space

Oh wait. That's very similar to the title of this thread. I need to pay attention once in awhile. :blushing:

I guess the answer to your thread title question is: It is.

Boy what a great question. I agree, the force of gravity would be going up with the increased mass. Something else is "impacting" the equation.

The equation is approximate. A few that come to mind...The Earth is not a fixed point, nor is it in a circular orbit around the sun,there are other gravitational influences like the sun, and some energy is radiated away via gravitational waves.

If either mass goes up, the force to hold everything in place must also go up.

Last edited:
Judgeking said:
The moon is slowing drifting away, about 1inch per year. It will eventually float away, but may take millions of years.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12311119

No, it will not float away forever.

Assuming the Earth moon system is isolated, their angular momentum will be conserved. I think what will eventually happen is that you will have a synchronous rotation where the Earth and the moon see only one face of each other. This is already true for the moon (moon rotation period=moon revolution period=one month) and it will happen for the Earth too (as seen from the moon). That can only occur at one radius and that will be the final distance between the Earth and the moon.

With the sun in the mix, it will be more complicated but I'm pretty sure we're not going to lose the moon no matter how long we wait.

Menaus said:
I have a question related to this, which is "What gives satellites their right angle velocity (relative to the mass) which creates a stable orbit?

Gravity's vector is only towards the mass of the object, so what creates this additional force which allows us for the stable orbit.

You need to review Kepler's equations for your answer. In short, conservation of momentum, conservation of angular momentum and conservation of energy are why orbits are stable.

pheadden said:
How does conservation of energy relate to Gravity? The moon seems to rotate around the Earth for eternity (so it seems). But intuitively I would think that the energy of Gravity would eventually deplete and the moon would drift off into space. This apparently isn't the case. I know that Fg=Gm1m2/r2, but I can't get my pea brained head around the idea that this goes on for eternity; and the energy of gravity doesn't run out as long as their is two bodies of mass.

Gravity is one of the four fundamental forces, and as such it does not require an expenditure of energy to work. It is quite the opposite. It is the result of these forces interacting between objects that gives rise to energy.

Ryoko said:
You need to review Kepler's equations for your answer. In short, conservation of momentum, conservation of angular momentum and conservation of energy are why orbits are stable.
It is because the force is central

Related to Why doesn't the moon eventually drift into space?

1. Why doesn't the moon eventually drift into space?

The moon does not drift into space because of a phenomenon called tidal locking. This means that the moon's rotation and orbit are synchronized, causing it to always face the same side towards the Earth. This gravitational force between the Earth and the moon prevents the moon from drifting away.

2. What keeps the moon in its orbit around the Earth?

The moon is kept in its orbit around the Earth by the force of gravity. The Earth's mass creates a gravitational pull that keeps the moon in a stable orbit. Additionally, the moon's own gravity also plays a role in keeping it in orbit around the Earth.

3. Can the moon ever escape Earth's gravitational pull?

While it is highly unlikely, there is a very small chance that the moon could escape Earth's gravitational pull. This could happen if the moon's orbit were to be disrupted by a large object or if the moon were to collide with another celestial body. However, the chances of this happening are extremely low.

4. Will the moon eventually collide with the Earth?

No, the moon will not collide with the Earth. The moon's orbit is actually slowly getting larger, at a rate of about 3.8 centimeters per year. This means that the moon is moving further away from the Earth and will never get close enough to collide with it.

5. How does the moon's distance from the Earth affect its orbit?

The distance between the moon and the Earth does affect its orbit, but not in the way one might think. As the moon's orbit gets larger, it actually causes it to move slower in its orbit. This is due to the conservation of angular momentum, which states that an object's rotation will decrease as its distance from its axis of rotation increases.