Why Doesn't Water Leak Out of Dialysis Tubing?

• Thread starter Sascha_K
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the dialysis membrane prevents molecules larger than its pore size from moving out. The surface tension of water holds the water inside the tubing when filling it in air, but it becomes irrelevant when placed in the buffer. The appropriate equations for calculating the pore size at which the surface tension fails and water leaks out are ηπd for force holding liquid in the pore and ηπd/{πd2/4} for pressure required for flow through the pore(s). Based on a 10 cm long dialysis tube, the estimated pore diameter needed for water to leak out is between 0.2 to 0.3 mm. The dialysis solution exerts an osmotic pull on waste in the blood, and
Sascha_K
The way I think about it, the dialysis membrane basically has holes in it of a given size which keep molecules larger than the holes from moving out.

My question is, since the pore size of the tubing is always bigger than the size of water molecules, why doesn't water leak out of the dialysis tubing when you are filling it in air?

Biology news on Phys.org
What's the surface tension of water?

Likes Sascha_K
Aha! I see! Thanks for clearing that up for me!

So essentially the surface tension is holding the water inside the bag until it is placed in the buffer, upon which the surface tension is no longer applicable (surface tension of water against air is 71.97 dyn/cm at 25 C)

I now have another question: At what pore size will the surface tension fail and allow water to leak out of the bag? Or at least, what are the appropriate equations for calculating such a problem.

Assuming a circular x-section for a pore (or a spherical chicken), ηπd (η = surface tension, d = pore dia.) is the force holding liquid in the pore, and force/area (ηπd/{πd2/4}) is pressure required for flow through the pore(s).

Likes Ryan_m_b, Sascha_K and berkeman
Using a 10 cm long dialysis tube, I roughly estimate that the diameter of the pore would need to be in the vicinity of 0.2 to 0.3 mm

Likes Ryan_m_b
Looks like a decent ballpark number.

You are awesome dude. Not only have you helped me with understanding this (heretofore) seeming contradiction of how dialysis membranes work, but you also helped resolve a friendly argument with a co-worker. Physic forums is awesome, thanks to people like you! :)

The tubing is a semi porous membrane but remember it runs through a dialysis solution, the content of which can be altered depending on what you want to achieve. The solution exerts an osmotic pull on the waste in the blood removing them. Modern systems can add specific filters to remove certain drugs etc.

FAQ: Why Doesn't Water Leak Out of Dialysis Tubing?

1. How does dialysis tubing work?

Dialysis tubing is a semi-permeable membrane that is used in a process called dialysis to filter out waste products and excess fluid from the blood. The tubing is made of a material that allows small molecules, such as water and waste products, to pass through while preventing larger molecules, like proteins and blood cells, from passing through.

2. What is the purpose of dialysis tubing?

The purpose of dialysis tubing is to mimic the function of the kidneys by filtering the blood and removing waste products and excess fluid from the body. It is commonly used in patients with kidney failure or chronic kidney disease who are unable to filter their own blood effectively.

3. How is dialysis tubing used in dialysis treatment?

In dialysis treatment, the patient's blood is pumped through one side of the dialysis tubing, while a special fluid called dialysate is pumped through the other side. The dialysis tubing acts as a filter, allowing waste products and excess fluid to pass from the blood into the dialysate, which is then discarded. The filtered blood is then returned to the patient's body.

4. What are the different types of dialysis tubing?

There are two main types of dialysis tubing: cellulose-based and synthetic. Cellulose-based tubing is made from plant fibers and is commonly used in hemodialysis, where the blood is filtered outside of the body. Synthetic tubing, made from materials such as polyethylene or polyvinyl chloride, is used in peritoneal dialysis, where the dialysate is pumped into the abdominal cavity to filter the blood inside the body.

5. How do you care for dialysis tubing?

Dialysis tubing should be handled carefully to avoid damage to the membrane. It should be stored in a cool, dry place and kept away from direct sunlight. Before use, the tubing should be rinsed thoroughly with sterile water to remove any impurities. After use, it should be discarded and a new piece of tubing should be used for each dialysis treatment to ensure proper filtration.

Back