Why Don't All Inner Products Define the Same Vector Norm?

In summary, Inner product spaces are a way to visualize and work with vectors in a way that is more consistent with the way we think about them. There is only one correct definition of inner product based on the key geometrically intrinsic property, i.e. the magnitude or length of a vector. However, you can define a different inner product as long as it obeys all the same rules of an inner product.
Xyius
I am having difficulties with understanding some aspects of inner products. For example,

||u||² = <u,u>

Where <u,u> denoted the inner product of "u" with itself.

My problem here is that we can define any inner product we wish. For example, if I defined,

<u,v> = u1v1 + 3(u2v2)
Then the above equation for finding the magnitude of "u" doesn't agree with the other formula for finding the magnitude of the vector..

||u|| = sqrt(u1^2 + u2^2)

Why does this happen? There are other equations where this same thing happens. Shouldnt everything agree?

Physics news on Phys.org
Xyius said:
I am having difficulties with understanding some aspects of inner products. For example,

||u||² = <u,u>

Where <u,u> denoted the inner product of "u" with itself.

My problem here is that we can define any inner product we wish. For example, if I defined,

<u,v> = u1v1 + 3(u2v2)
Then the above equation for finding the magnitude of "u" doesn't agree with the other formula for finding the magnitude of the vector..

||u|| = sqrt(u1^2 + u2^2)

Why does this happen? There are other equations where this same thing happens. Shouldnt everything agree?

It's not clear to me why you feel you can define any inner product we wish. Assuming we are talking about 3D Euclidean space and normal vector calculus, there is only one correct definition of inner product based on the key geometrically intrinsic property, i.e. the magnitude or length of a vector.

[tex] \vec U \bullet \vec V ={{\vert \vec U \vert ^2 +\vert \vec V \vert ^2 - \vert \vec V -\vec U \vert ^2}\over{2}}[/tex]

This definition clearly results in the following:

[tex]\vec U \bullet \vec U =\vert \vec U \vert ^2 [/tex]

elect_eng said:
It's not clear to me why you feel you can define any inner product we wish. Assuming we are talking about 3D Euclidean space and normal vector calculus, there is only one correct definition of inner product based on the key geometrically intrinsic property, i.e. the magnitude or length of a vector.

[tex] \vec U \bullet \vec V ={{\vert \vec U \vert ^2 +\vert \vec V \vert ^2 - \vert \vec V -\vec U \vert ^2}\over{2}}[/tex]

This definition clearly results in the following:

[tex]\vec U \bullet \vec U =\vert \vec U \vert ^2 [/tex]

In my book it says that you can define a different inner product as long as it obeys all the same rules of an inner product. For example, one of the problems in my book says,

"Find the inner product of u and v, if <u,v> = 3(u1v1) + (u2v2)"

On an inner product space, you can naturally define the norm of a vector x with ||x|| = √<x, x>, regardless of how the inner product is defined.

Xyius said:
In my book it says that you can define a different inner product as long as it obeys all the same rules of an inner product.

OK, I guess this is a generalization of the concept I'm familiar with.

Now I'm curious about your question. What are the stated rules for an inner product according to your book?

So tell me if I am wrong with this assumption.

The norm of a vector is defined by its inner product. A vector could have a multiple amount of norms depending on which inner product is defined. The actual length of the vector in R^n is defined by the dot product definition of the inner product, and other inner products do not necessarily define the length of the vector.

Would this be correct?

Yes you are correct. The inner product is used to define the norm, and of course there are different norms you can use on a space that give you different properties. The norm on an arbitrary vector space is a friendly extension of the familiar concept of the length of a vector in R2.

On a related note, I've seen Euclidean space defined as an affine space with an inner product (in Bowen & Wang: Introduction to Vectors and Tensors, Vol 2). Is this definition standard, and, if so, how do people refer unambiguously to the traditional ones, En? Traditional/canonical Euclidean n-space?

Xyius said:
So tell me if I am wrong with this assumption.

The norm of a vector is defined by its inner product. A vector could have a multiple amount of norms depending on which inner product is defined. The actual length of the vector in R^n is defined by the dot product definition of the inner product, and other inner products do not necessarily define the length of the vector.

Would this be correct?
In finite dimensional vector spaces, you define "norm" by "inner product". In infinite dimensional spaces, however, you can have a norm where there is no corresponding inner product.

For example, if we define [itex]l_1[/itex] to be the set of all infinite sequences [itex]\{a_i\}[/itex] such that [itex]\sum |a_i|[/itex] is finite, then we can define the norm to be that sum, even though there is no inner product that will give that norm.

If we define [itex]l_2[/itex] to be the set of all sequences [itex]\{a_i\}[/itex] such that [itex]\sum a_i^2[/itex] is finite, then we can show that [itex]\sum a_ib_i[/itex], where [itex]\{a_i\}[/itex] and [itex]\{b_i\}[/itex] are two such sequences, is also finite and we can define the inner product to be that sum. In that case we define the norm of [itex]\{a_i\}[/itex] to be the square root of its inner product with itself.

The same things can be said of the set of "absolutely integrable functions" on an interval and the set of "square integrable" functions on an interval, using the integral rather than sum.

FAQ: Why Don't All Inner Products Define the Same Vector Norm?

1. What is an inner product?

An inner product is a mathematical concept that takes two vectors and returns a scalar value. It is used to measure the similarity or difference between two vectors in a vector space.

2. How is an inner product different from a dot product?

An inner product is a generalization of the dot product, meaning that the dot product is a type of inner product. However, the inner product can be defined for a wider range of vector spaces, whereas the dot product is only defined for two- or three-dimensional vectors.

3. What is the importance of the inner product in mathematics?

The inner product is important in mathematics because it allows us to measure the angle between two vectors and determine whether they are orthogonal (perpendicular) or parallel. It is also used in various applications such as signal processing, physics, and machine learning.

4. How is the inner product related to the norm of a vector?

The inner product is related to the norm of a vector through the Pythagorean theorem. The norm of a vector is the square root of the inner product of that vector with itself. In other words, the inner product can be used to calculate the length of a vector.

5. Can the inner product be negative?

Yes, the inner product can be negative. This happens when the angle between two vectors is greater than 90 degrees, indicating that the vectors are pointing in opposite directions. A negative inner product can also indicate a lack of correlation between two vectors.

Back