Why Don't First-Order Terms Disappear in the Taylor Expansion for Scalar Fields?

In summary, we are trying to prove that the standard 1/r potential is a solution to the Poisson equation, and we use a Taylor series expansion of the well behaved scalar field around a certain point. In doing so, we integrate in spherical polar coordinates and take into account the different factors introduced by the terms in the expansion. Ultimately, we find that the first order terms cancel out and the second order term gives a factor of 1/6, which matches with the result given in Jackson's Electrodynamics.
ibyea

Homework Statement

Page 35 of Jackson's Electrodynamics (3rd ed), it gives the following equation (basically trying to prove your standard 1/r potential is a solution to Poisson equation):

[tex] \nabla^2 \Phi_a = \frac{ -1 }{ \epsilon_0 } \int \frac{ a^2 }{( r^2 + a^2)^{5/2} } \rho( \boldsymbol{x'} ) d^3 x' [/tex]

Where r is distance from center of a sphere with radius R, centered at [itex] \boldsymbol{x} [/itex] and [itex] a [/itex] is a parameter much smaller than R whose limit approaches to 0. And note that [itex] r = \sqrt{ (x' - x)^2 + (y' - y)^2 + (z' - z)^2} [/itex]. R is chosen such that [itex] \rho( \boldsymbol{x'} ) [/itex] changes little inside the sphere. The integral is zero outside the sphere as [itex] a [/itex] approaches zero, so only the inside of the sphere is considered.

Then the book says, "with a Taylor series expansion of the well behaved [itex] \rho( \boldsymbol{x'} ) [/itex] around [itex] \boldsymbol{x'} = \boldsymbol{x} [/itex], one finds":

[tex] \nabla^2 \Phi_a = \frac{ -1 }{ \epsilon_0 } \int_0^R \frac{ a^2 }{( r^2 + a^2)^{5/2} } [ \rho( \boldsymbol{x} ) + \frac{ r^2 }{ 6 } \nabla^2 \rho + \ldots ] r^2 dr + O( a^2 ) [/tex]

Essentially I tried to fill in the gaps between those two steps.

Homework Equations

Taylor expansion for scalar field:

[tex] f(\boldsymbol{x'}) = f(\boldsymbol{x}) + \boldsymbol{x} \cdot \nabla f + \frac{ 1 }{ 2 } (\boldsymbol{x} \cdot \nabla)^2 f [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, essentially I attempted to solve the problem by using the relevant equations. First of all, I changed [itex] d^3 x' [/itex] into spherical polar and the angular parts integrate into [itex] 4 \pi [/itex].

This is where I get lost because when I did the Taylor expansion, the first order terms did not go away. Secondly the second order term is a problem because I never managed to get a six at the bottom. In fact, what I get is:

[tex] \rho + r \frac{ \partial \rho }{ \partial r } + \frac{1}{2} r^2 \frac{ \partial \rho }{ \partial r } + \frac{1}{2} r^2 \frac{ \partial^2 \rho }{ \partial r^2 } [/tex]

Which is not the same as
[tex] \rho( \boldsymbol{x} ) + \frac{ r^2 }{ 6 } \nabla^2 \rho = \rho( \boldsymbol{x} ) + \frac{ r^2 }{ 6 } \frac{\partial^2 \rho}{\partial r^2} [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I really don't understand that expansion, either, but it seems pretty much irrelevant, because when you write:

[itex]\rho(x') = \rho(x) + ...[/itex]

the only term that survives, in the limit as [itex]a \rightarrow 0[/itex], is the first term.

What's important is that

[itex]lim_{a \rightarrow 0} \int_0^R \frac{-3a^2}{(r^2 + a^2)^{\frac{5}{2}}} r^2 dr = -1[/itex]

Jackson claims that this can be done by "direct integration", but I don't see that, at all. I would first let [itex]r = a u[/itex], to get:
[itex]lim_{a \rightarrow 0} \int_0^\frac{R}{a} \frac{-3}{(u^2 + 1)^{\frac{5}{2}}} u^2 du[/itex]
[itex]= \int_0^\infty \frac{-3}{(u^2 + 1)^{\frac{5}{2}}} u^2 du[/itex]

Then I would use a trig substitution: [itex]u = tan(\theta)[/itex].

Thanks! Good to know I wasn't just being too dumb to see the obvious.

ibyea said:

Homework Statement

Page 35 of Jackson's Electrodynamics (3rd ed), it gives the following equation (basically trying to prove your standard 1/r potential is a solution to Poisson equation):

[tex] \nabla^2 \Phi_a = \frac{ -1 }{ \epsilon_0 } \int \frac{ a^2 }{( r^2 + a^2)^{5/2} } \rho( \boldsymbol{x'} ) d^3 x' [/tex]

Where r is distance from center of a sphere with radius R, centered at [itex] \boldsymbol{x} [/itex] and [itex] a [/itex] is a parameter much smaller than R whose limit approaches to 0. And note that [itex] r = \sqrt{ (x' - x)^2 + (y' - y)^2 + (z' - z)^2} [/itex]. R is chosen such that [itex] \rho( \boldsymbol{x'} ) [/itex] changes little inside the sphere. The integral is zero outside the sphere as [itex] a [/itex] approaches zero, so only the inside of the sphere is considered.

Then the book says, "with a Taylor series expansion of the well behaved [itex] \rho( \boldsymbol{x'} ) [/itex] around [itex] \boldsymbol{x'} = \boldsymbol{x} [/itex], one finds":

[tex] \nabla^2 \Phi_a = \frac{ -1 }{ \epsilon_0 } \int_0^R \frac{ a^2 }{( r^2 + a^2)^{5/2} } [ \rho( \boldsymbol{x} ) + \frac{ r^2 }{ 6 } \nabla^2 \rho + \ldots ] r^2 dr + O( a^2 ) [/tex]

Essentially I tried to fill in the gaps between those two steps.

Homework Equations

Taylor expansion for scalar field:

[tex] f(\boldsymbol{x'}) = f(\boldsymbol{x}) + \boldsymbol{x} \cdot \nabla f + \frac{ 1 }{ 2 } (\boldsymbol{x} \cdot \nabla)^2 f [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, essentially I attempted to solve the problem by using the relevant equations. First of all, I changed [itex] d^3 x' [/itex] into spherical polar and the angular parts integrate into [itex] 4 \pi [/itex].

This is where I get lost because when I did the Taylor expansion, the first order terms did not go away. Secondly the second order term is a problem because I never managed to get a six at the bottom. In fact, what I get is:

[tex] \rho + r \frac{ \partial \rho }{ \partial r } + \frac{1}{2} r^2 \frac{ \partial \rho }{ \partial r } + \frac{1}{2} r^2 \frac{ \partial^2 \rho }{ \partial r^2 } [/tex]

Which is not the same as
[tex] \rho( \boldsymbol{x} ) + \frac{ r^2 }{ 6 } \nabla^2 \rho = \rho( \boldsymbol{x} ) + \frac{ r^2 }{ 6 } \frac{\partial^2 \rho}{\partial r^2} [/tex]
If we align the z axis with the vector ##\nabla f##, then the ## \boldsymbol{x} \cdot \nabla f## term introduces an extra factor ##\cos \theta##. Integrating

[tex]\int_0^\pi d\theta \sin \theta \cos \theta [/tex]
gives zero which kills that term.

The next term introduces a factor ##(\cos \theta )^2##. The integral is
[tex]\int_0^\pi d\theta \sin \theta \cos^2 \theta = \frac{2}{3} [/tex] which is 1/3 of the result with no factor of ##\cos \theta##. Taking into account the factor of 1/2 from the Taylor expansion, we get the factor of 1/6 of Jackson.

FAQ: Why Don't First-Order Terms Disappear in the Taylor Expansion for Scalar Fields?

1. What is Taylor Expansion for Scalar Field?

Taylor Expansion for Scalar Field is a mathematical tool used to approximate a function by a polynomial expression. It is based on the Taylor series, which is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms related to the function's derivatives at a single point.

2. How is Taylor Expansion for Scalar Field used in science?

Taylor Expansion for Scalar Field is used in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is often used to approximate complex functions and solve differential equations, which are common in scientific research and analysis.

3. What is the formula for Taylor Expansion for Scalar Field?

The formula for Taylor Expansion for Scalar Field is:

f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + \frac{f''(a)}{2!}(x-a)^2 + \frac{f'''(a)}{3!}(x-a)^3 + ... + \frac{f^{(n)}(a)}{n!}(x-a)^n

where f(x) is the function being approximated, a is the point around which the expansion is being performed, and n is the number of terms in the expansion.

4. What are some advantages of using Taylor Expansion for Scalar Field?

One advantage of using Taylor Expansion for Scalar Field is that it allows for the approximation of complex functions with a simpler polynomial expression. This can make solving equations and analyzing functions easier. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation can be improved by including more terms in the expansion.

5. Are there any limitations to Taylor Expansion for Scalar Field?

Yes, there are some limitations to Taylor Expansion for Scalar Field. One limitation is that it only works for functions that are infinitely differentiable, meaning that they have derivatives of all orders. Additionally, the approximation may not be accurate for functions with large values or near points of discontinuity. Lastly, the more terms included in the expansion, the more complex the expression becomes, making it more difficult to work with.

Back