Why don't quark-antiquark pairs annihilate?

• Thread starter ihatelolcats
  • Start date
In summary: It's interesting to learn about the different types of pions and how they can only change flavors through the weak force. In summary, quarks and antiquarks are always paired in baryons, but in mesons, they can have different flavors and can only change flavors through the weak force. This keeps them from turning into energy and makes them more stable.
ihatelolcats
i just learned that quarks are always paired with antiquarks, and i wonder what effect keeps them from turning into energy? is it some kind of quantum pressure? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ihatelolcats said:
i just learned that quarks are always paired with antiquarks, and i wonder what effect keeps them from turning into energy? is it some kind of quantum pressure? thanks

Actually, this is not true. In baryons (e.g. proton) there are 3 'normal' quarks, so they are not going to annihilate themselves. Mesons, however, ARE made of quark-antiquark pairs, but they are not all made of the same flavour quark and anti-quark. Consider the pions: charged pions are made of up-antidown and down-antiup pairs. However, the neutral pion is made of a superposition of up-antiup and down-antidown. This means the charged pion quarks can't annihilate themselves but the neutral ones can.

Now, I lied a little bit. The charged pions CAN annihilate themselves, but they first have to change say an antidown quark into an antiup quark, and they can only do that via the weak force. This makes the charged pions way more stable.

Check out their relative lifetimes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pion#Neutral_pion_decays

The neutral pion decays a billion times faster than the charged pion! This is super cool I think :). Also I lied again a little bit, they don't really change an antidown into an antiup, the up and antidown can just annihilate straight away through a weak interaction, but this is still weak so happens way more slowly than if they could do it by strong or electromagnetic interactions.

Last edited:
thanks for the information, that really cleared up a lot

Related to Why don't quark-antiquark pairs annihilate?

1. Why don't quark-antiquark pairs annihilate?

Quark-antiquark pairs do not annihilate because they possess opposite charges. In the Standard Model of particle physics, quarks have a positive charge and antiquarks have a negative charge. When a quark and an antiquark come into contact, their opposite charges cancel each other out and they are able to coexist without annihilating.

2. How do quark-antiquark pairs form?

Quark-antiquark pairs can form through various processes, such as the decay of a larger particle or the splitting of a gluon. They can also be produced in high-energy collisions, such as those that occur in particle accelerators. In these collisions, the energy is converted into mass, allowing quark-antiquark pairs to be created.

3. Can quark-antiquark pairs annihilate under certain conditions?

Yes, under certain conditions, quark-antiquark pairs can annihilate. This typically occurs when they are in a highly excited state or when they are subject to extreme temperatures and pressures, such as those found in the early universe. In these cases, the energy of the particles is high enough to overcome their opposite charges and they can annihilate.

4. What role do gluons play in preventing quark-antiquark annihilation?

Gluons, which are the particles that mediate the strong force, play a crucial role in preventing quark-antiquark annihilation. The strong force is responsible for holding quarks together within particles, and gluons are constantly exchanged between quarks and antiquarks, keeping them bound and preventing annihilation.

5. Are there any theoretical explanations for quark-antiquark annihilation?

Yes, there are several theoretical explanations for quark-antiquark annihilation. Some theories propose that there may be particles beyond the Standard Model, such as supersymmetric particles, that could cause quark-antiquark annihilation. Other theories suggest that there may be extra dimensions or new forces at play that could lead to annihilation. However, these theories have not yet been confirmed and are still being researched.