Why I-V curve but not V-I curve

• Thread starter KathC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve I-v
In summary, the reason we use an I-V curve to show the characteristic of an electrical device is because it is easier to control the voltage than the current. The device responds to the voltage with a current profile, rather than responding to current by inducing a voltage. This makes the I-V curve a clearer representation of the device's behavior compared to the V-I curve.
KathC
Why we use I-V curve to show the characteristic of an electrical device but not V-I curve? I think the V-I one is clearer as the gradient would be resistance directly...

My teacher said there is a reason to use I-V, but she couldn't remenber.

Anyone knows?...Thx a lot...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is because it is easy to control the voltage but not easy to control the current. The device responds to the voltage with a current profile. It doesn't respond to current by inducing a voltage.

vertigo said:
I think it is because it is easy to control the voltage but not easy to control the current. The device responds to the voltage with a current profile. It doesn't respond to current by inducing a voltage.

Thanks! I think you're right...:)

FAQ: Why I-V curve but not V-I curve

1. What is the difference between an I-V curve and a V-I curve?

An I-V (current-voltage) curve shows the relationship between the current flowing through a device and the voltage applied across it. A V-I (voltage-current) curve shows the relationship between the voltage applied across a device and the resulting current.

2. Why is an I-V curve more commonly used than a V-I curve?

An I-V curve is more commonly used because it allows for easier analysis of the electrical behavior of a device. In an I-V curve, the current is plotted on the y-axis and the voltage on the x-axis, which follows the conventional direction of current flow. This makes it easier to interpret the behavior of the device.

3. Can you obtain the same information from both an I-V curve and a V-I curve?

Yes, you can obtain the same information from both types of curves. The only difference is the direction in which the data is plotted, but the relationship between current and voltage remains the same.

4. When would you use a V-I curve instead of an I-V curve?

A V-I curve may be used in certain applications where the voltage across the device is the controlled parameter, such as in some transistor circuits. In these cases, the V-I curve would be more informative than an I-V curve.

5. What factors can affect the shape of an I-V curve?

The shape of an I-V curve can be affected by various factors such as the material properties of the device, temperature, applied voltage, and the presence of external elements such as resistors or capacitors in the circuit.

Back