Why is 2^(ab) - 1 always evenly divisible by 2^a - 1?

You just have to use the fact that, since p is not a prime, there exists some number x that divides p. Then you can write m as 2^(xy) - 1, and from there it becomes clear that m is not a prime.In summary, when proving that p^2 - 1 is evenly divisible by 24, it can be shown by factoring (p+1)(p-1) and using the fact that every other even number is divisible by 4. For the second problem, if p is not a prime, then m will not be a prime, which can be proven by writing m as 2^(xy) - 1 and using the fact that there exists some number x that
Toftarn
Problem 1

Homework Statement

Prove that p^2 - 1, where p is a prime greater than 3, is evenly
divisible by 24.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

p^2 - 1 can be written as (p+1)(p-1)
Since p is a prime, (p+1) and (p-1) must both be even numbers.
Since every third integer is divisible by 3, either (p+1) or (p-1) must be divisible by 3.
So, this gives us the prime factors, 2, 2 and 3. But to make the product (p+1)(p-1)
divisible by 24, we need another 2. What I'm wondering is where this last 2 comes from.
Problem 2

Homework Statement

m = 2^p - 1
Prove that, if p is not a prime, then m will not be a prime.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If p is not a prime, then it can be written as the product of two numbers, a and b.
p = ab
Thus m = 2^(ab) - 1.
This is as far as I've come. My book says that 2^(ab) - 1 will always be evenly divisible
by 2^a - 1. How can you see this? I have tried to factor out 2^a - 1, but I can't figure out what the other factor would be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Toftarn

Physics news on Phys.org
I have an answer for your first question. You forgot to divide the number again.
Example: 5 will be the prime number. (5-1)*(5+1)=4*6. 4=2^2. Here is the two twos now.
6=2*3. That's the one two and the other three.

That should be it.
From,
grade 8 honour student

But of course, p - 1 and p + 1 are consecutive even numbers. Thus, one must be divisible by four, and the other not. So, the factors are 2, 4, and 3, which gives 24.

I see. Every other even number must be evenly divisible by 4. Thanks for the help. And, by the way, I managed to solve the second problem.

Related to Why is 2^(ab) - 1 always evenly divisible by 2^a - 1?

1. What are prime numbers?

Prime numbers are positive integers that are divisible only by 1 and itself. They have exactly two factors and cannot be divided evenly by any other number.

2. How do I know if a number is prime?

To determine if a number is prime, you can check if it is divisible by any number other than 1 and itself. If it is divisible by any other number, then it is not a prime number. You can also use mathematical formulas and algorithms to identify prime numbers.

3. Why are prime numbers important?

Prime numbers are important in many fields, including mathematics, computer science, and cryptography. They are used in encryption and security systems, and they also have applications in number theory and other mathematical concepts.

4. Can a number be both prime and composite?

No, a number cannot be both prime and composite. Prime numbers only have two factors, while composite numbers have more than two factors. Therefore, a number cannot have exactly two factors and more than two factors at the same time.

5. What is the largest known prime number?

As of 2021, the largest known prime number is 2^82,589,933 - 1. This number has over 24 million digits and was discovered in December 2018. However, due to the nature of prime numbers, it is possible that there are larger prime numbers that have not yet been discovered.