Why is 2x - 4 less than 1 in this inequality?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Casio1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation was about solving an inequality. The participants discussed the correct way to write the inequality and how to find values that satisfy it. They also clarified that the solution set does not include the value of 2.5, but rather all values less than 2.5. Finally, they provided an example of how to test values to determine if they satisfy the inequality.
Casio1
Hi everyone

I have an inequality

2x - 4 < 1

I had to double check it to ensure I wrote it down correctly.

2x < 1 + 4

x < 2.5

2(2.5) - 4 < 1

1 < 1

Is this me or am I missing something?

2x - 4 < 1 reads to me as 2x - 4 should be less than < 1 and not equal to it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In order to check it you should try numbers less than $5/2$, not equal to. Once you plugged it in the original equation it was good that it wasn't a solution, or else something would have went horribly wrong. Try $x=2$. (Nod)

Yes I see what you mean when putting 2 into the inequality, but I am making that figure up knowing it will be less than 1?

My misunderstanding seems to be that finding the value of 'x' in this example does not prove the inequality correct?

I must be missing something here as x = 2.5 but for some reason in this example 2x - 4 < 1 mathematically does not work?

2(2.5) - 4 < 1

Is it not a typo error?

should it not be;

2(2.5) - 4 < 1

The values of $x$ you have found are the ones less than two and half, not equal to. Why should it be $2x+4 \leq 1$? You don't need equality. Geometrically, you have the points belonging to the line $y=2x+4$ and below the line $y=1$, but you discount the intersection, which happens at the point $x= 5/2$.

Also, note that $5/2$ is not less than itself, thus it cannot be a solution! If it doesn't belong to the solution set, it cannot satisfy the given inequality. (Nod)

You have found that x must be less than 2.5, so as stated above, if you let x = 2.5, then your inequality will not be true.

Let x = 2.5 - y where y may be as small or large as we desire, as long as 0 < y.

Now, substituting this into the original inequality, we find:

2(2.5 - y) - 4 < 1

5 - 2y - 4 < 1

1 - 2y < 1

0 < 2y

0 < y

OK I think I have got it now. I find a value for 'x' which I did at 5/2, which is in decimal form 2.5.

This value is definitely in the inequality, so is a strick value. The misunderstanding I think I had was in understanding that ALL values up to 2.5 can be considered, so if I said;

x = - 2, which is < 2.5, I could write;2(- 2) - 4 < 1- 4 - 4 < 1I understand it know, thanks everyone. :cool:

FAQ: Why is 2x - 4 less than 1 in this inequality?

1. What is inequality?

Inequality refers to the unequal distribution of resources, opportunities, and privileges among individuals or groups. It can manifest in various forms, such as income inequality, gender inequality, racial inequality, and social inequality.

2. How is inequality measured?

Inequality can be measured using various indicators, such as the Gini coefficient, which measures income distribution, or the Human Development Index, which takes into account factors such as education and health in addition to income. Other commonly used measures include the Palma ratio, the Atkinson index, and the Lorenz curve.

3. What are the causes of inequality?

Inequality can have various causes, including historical and systemic factors such as colonialism, capitalism, and discrimination based on race, gender, or class. Other contributing factors include government policies, technological advancements, and globalization.

4. What are the consequences of inequality?

Inequality can have far-reaching consequences for individuals and societies. It can lead to social and political unrest, hinder economic growth, and perpetuate cycles of poverty. It also has negative impacts on health, education, and overall well-being, resulting in a less equitable and just society.

5. How can we address inequality?

Addressing inequality requires a multi-faceted approach, including policies that promote equal opportunities, fair taxation, and social safety nets. Education and awareness are also crucial in challenging systemic inequalities and promoting a more inclusive society. Additionally, addressing underlying issues such as discrimination and unequal distribution of power can help reduce inequality.

Back