Why is a condenser necessary in a thermodynamic Rankine cycle?

In summary, the reason a condenser is necessary in power cycles like Rankine is because without it, the amount of energy required by the compressor would be equal to the energy produced by the turbine. The goal is to maximize power output while minimizing energy consumption.
alighazanfer25
hi guys , I am studying thermodynamic cycles in my thermodynamic course , I have a question about the power cycles like Rankine , in these systems v use superheated steam to produce work from turbine, so y there must be condenser to cool it first and then heat it , y can't v use turbine - boiler - compressor setup or turbine - compressor - boiler . I know it must have a very answer but I will b happy if I will get one...

Science news on Phys.org
Please use plain English. We do not speak text-speak in this forum. Use why instead of y, we instead of v and be instead of b.
The condenser is required because otherwise you will spend as much energy in the compressor as you get from the turbine. You're trying to maximize your power output while minimizing any energy required by the compressor.

dauto said:
Please use plain English. We do not speak text-speak in this forum. Use why instead of y, we instead of v and be instead of b.
The condenser is required because otherwise you will spend as much energy in the compressor as you get from the turbine. You're trying to maximize your power output while minimizing any energy required by the compressor.

I got your points . special thanks for the answer!

Related to Why is a condenser necessary in a thermodynamic Rankine cycle?

1. What is a Thermodynamic Rankine Cycle?

A Thermodynamic Rankine Cycle is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle used to model the operation of steam power plants. It is a closed-loop cycle that converts heat energy into mechanical work, similar to the way a car engine operates.

2. How does a Thermodynamic Rankine Cycle work?

The cycle consists of four main processes: 1) a pump, which pressurizes the liquid water to a high pressure, 2) a boiler, which heats the high-pressure liquid water to generate steam, 3) a turbine, which expands the steam to produce work, and 4) a condenser, which cools and condenses the exhausted steam back into liquid form. These processes work together to convert heat energy into mechanical work.

3. What is the purpose of a Thermodynamic Rankine Cycle?

The main purpose of a Thermodynamic Rankine Cycle is to convert heat energy into mechanical work, which can then be used to power machines and devices. This cycle is commonly used in steam power plants to generate electricity.

4. What are the key components of a Thermodynamic Rankine Cycle?

The key components of a Thermodynamic Rankine Cycle are the pump, boiler, turbine, and condenser. These components work together to convert heat energy into mechanical work, and each plays a crucial role in the overall operation of the cycle.

5. What are the advantages of a Thermodynamic Rankine Cycle?

A Thermodynamic Rankine Cycle has several advantages, including its ability to use a variety of fuel sources, its high efficiency in converting heat energy into work, and its relatively low cost compared to other power generation methods. It is also a well-studied and understood cycle, making it a reliable option for power generation.